Mark Richards

An applet on one of my pages uses a big picture as background.
I want to load it before the applet and the rest of the html source.

By doing this I want to avoid that the pane of the applet is grey during the
load of the picture.

How do I do that?

Or even better: How can I display something like a progress bar or at least a temporary, self removing
message (dialog) "Please wait a few second..." until the picture and the applet were loaded completely?

Mark

Paul Lutus

Mark said:
An applet on one of my pages uses a big picture as background.
I want to load it before the applet and the rest of the html source.

By doing this I want to avoid that the pane of the applet is grey during
the load of the picture.

How do I do that?

You can't.
Or even better: How can I display something like a progress bar or at
least a temporary, self removing message (dialog) "Please wait a few
second..." until the picture and the applet were loaded completely?

Use a MediaTracker instance and a progress bar that follows the
MediaTracker's progress.

Please do not cross-post as you are doing.

Andrew Thompson

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:05:09 +0200, Mark Richards wrote:

# 1. An x-post to :
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html, comp.lang.javascript,
comp.lang.java.programmer & comp.lang.java.help is far too
wide a cross post for this basic question. Please refrain
from cross-posting and limit such questions to c.l.j.help.

Follow-ups set to *c.l.j.help*.
An applet on one of my pages uses a big picture as background.
I want to load it before the applet and the rest of the html source.

2. Make it smaller. Images can be shrunk in bytes a
variety of ways.
Or even better: How can I display something like ... a temporary, self removing
message (dialog) "Please wait a few second..." until the picture and the
applet were loaded completely?

If you jar your applet, you can use the 'icon' element of
type 'splash' in the jnlp to launch the applet using Java
Webstart. It should use that for the splash screen image.
(obvipously your splash will say 'wait a few moments')
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jws/developersguide/syntax.html#information>

Alternately, I have a splash screen that will work for simple
applets in JVM's back to the Symantec 1.1.5 and MS 1.1.4.

HTH

--
Andrew Thompson