    Or even better: How can I display something like a progress bar or at least a temporary, self removing
    message (dialog) "Please wait a few second..." until the picture and the applet were loaded completely?

    Mark

    Mark Richards, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Mark Richards

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Mark Richards wrote:

    > An applet on one of my pages uses a big picture as background.
    > I want to load it before the applet and the rest of the html source.
    >
    > By doing this I want to avoid that the pane of the applet is grey during
    > the load of the picture.
    >
    > How do I do that?

    You can't.

    > Or even better: How can I display something like a progress bar or at
    > least a temporary, self removing message (dialog) "Please wait a few
    > second..." until the picture and the applet were loaded completely?

    Use a MediaTracker instance and a progress bar that follows the
    MediaTracker's progress.

    Please do not cross-post as you are doing.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Oct 7, 2004

  3. On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:05:09 +0200, Mark Richards wrote:

    # 1. An x-post to :
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html, comp.lang.javascript,
    comp.lang.java.programmer & comp.lang.java.help is far too
    wide a cross post for this basic question. Please refrain
    from cross-posting and limit such questions to c.l.j.help.

    Follow-ups set to *c.l.j.help*.

    > An applet on one of my pages uses a big picture as background.
    > I want to load it before the applet and the rest of the html source.

    2. Make it smaller. Images can be shrunk in bytes a
    variety of ways.

    > Or even better: How can I display something like ... a temporary, self removing
    > message (dialog) "Please wait a few second..." until the picture and the
    > applet were loaded completely?

    If you jar your applet, you can use the 'icon' element of
    type 'splash' in the jnlp to launch the applet using Java
    Webstart. It should use that for the splash screen image.
    (obvipously your splash will say 'wait a few moments')
    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jws/developersguide/syntax.html#information>

    Alternately, I have a splash screen that will work for simple
    applets in JVM's back to the Symantec 1.1.5 and MS 1.1.4.

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 8, 2004