    case? If so, why is that?

    Thanks,

    Tom.
    Thomas Scheiderich, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Thomas Scheiderich

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Thomas Scheiderich wrote:
    > I am building ASP.NET pages and find that it takes about 15-20
    > seconds to render the first time it is accessed (this seems to be the
    > case for a page that really does nothing). I was told that even if I
    > compile the Codebehind pages first, it won't really help much.

    15-20 seconds seems way too much. Checking... two seconds for a simple ASPX
    page with mostyl HTML and a HyperLink control using code-behind.

    > Is there a way to tell the system to go compile all the pages when the
    > system starts up?

    AFAIK, this will be an ASP.NET 2.0 feature.

    > The problem is that if it takes that long for each
    > page, it could look bad for the site when a user hits a page that
    > hasn't been opened yet and it waits for an inordinately long time.

    Quite honestly: In production, this is negligible assuming you're dealing
    with hundreds or thousands of users and your application isn't a moving
    target. Also, it is a good practice to have a last look at your application
    after installing it in production and before releasing it to the public, so
    it should be you who sees the delay ;-)

    It's much worse for development if you're stuck with a 15 second delay.

    > I was also told that Java doesn't have this problem. I was told that
    > Java (not sure what their .net equivalent is), renders much faster.

    This is not a question of rendering -- it is code generation. Rendering
    takes places once the code generator has produced the page's code.

    > Is this the case? If so, why is that?

    The equivalent J2EE technology is Java Server Pages (JSP). Modern
    Servlet/JSP containers offer precompilation.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joerg Jooss
    Joerg Jooss, Aug 31, 2004