Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Brian Christensen, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. Hi,
    Due to long periods during postbacks I'm experimenting on having a load

    screen. Best practice for this I have been unable to find so I hope
    someone here can point me in the right direction. I use the ASP 2.0
    framework.

    I want it to be a generel thing and hence I've played around with
    ClientScript.RegisterOnSubmitStatement(...)
    that injects js into the asp.framwork function

    function WebForm_OnSubmit() {
    if (typeof(ValidatorOnSubmit) == "function" && ValidatorOnSubmit() ==
    false) return false;
    return true}

    An example of using this:
    function WebForm_OnSubmit() {
    page.loadingMessage.show();
    if (typeof(ValidatorOnSubmit) == "function" && ValidatorOnSubmit() ==
    false) return false;
    return true;

    }

    This will cause clientside validation to be fired AFTER I show my
    is triggered

    The next - to me - logical step would be to inject the following code
    via RegisterOnSubmitStatement
    if (typeof(ValidatorOnSubmit) == ""function"" && ValidatorOnSubmit() !=

    false) { page.loadingMessage.show(); }

    which produces

    function WebForm_OnSubmit() {
    if (typeof(ValidatorOnSubmit) == "function" && ValidatorOnSubmit() !=
    false) { page.loadingMessage.show(); };if (typeof(ValidatorOnSubmit) ==

    "function" && ValidatorOnSubmit() == false) return false;
    return true;

    }

    Homefree? Not yet as this will cause the clientside validator to fail
    and just go straight to postback instead.

    Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

    Brian

    Brian Christensen, Aug 29, 2006