Guest

hey,

i'm trying to figure out how i would load items to the session after the
reponse has been sent out.

(1) so user goes to /default.aspx
(2) server does it's thing and sends response back
(3a) /default.aspx loads ( yay! )
(3b) while the client is loading the page.. we continue to add items to the
session
(4) user clicks button on /default.aspx
(5) we check if ready, if ready go to 6, otherwise, wait til everything is
loaded on server side..
(6) respond to the button click...

been trying to look for a way to do this.. so that user doesn't have to
wait while the server does stuff.. assume that users don't bail and it's
worth it to load and all that.. oh and that there is a great reason to have
a bloated session..

thanks all!!

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, so please correct me if
I've misunderstood anything.

Please refer to ASP.NET Page Life Cycle Overview below for more information
on when you can add states to session:

#ASP.NET Page Life Cycle Overview

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

bruce barker

can be done with a inproc session. default needs to add a container
object to session that will hold all the new objects. default then
creates a new thread to do the background processing and passes a
reference to the container. the background thread fills the container.
you will have to implement thread locking for the container.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

okay, so just fire off a thread to do the work..
and i assume this won't work with oop session management because of
serialization of the session..

is it possible to access a session object outside the asp.net life cycle?
hmm.. thanks for the input.. i suppose it won't quite work the way i want
it to..

we use a state server...