    html/dhtml and javascript, i must be missing something but just not able to
    find a solution.

    Many thx

    miphize, Oct 4, 2005

  2. miphize wrote:

    > Have created a webpage as a template with a stylesheet, however am trying
    > to get the page to load content from content.txt file with little success.

    > The reason i am trying to do this is so that i can update the content
    > without bothering with the html or javasript code.

    The key is to use software that will take your text and output HTML.
    Something like Markdown (which is written in Perl and has been ported to
    other languages including PHP).

    This software could run on your workstation before you upload the pages
    (preprocessing) or on the server each time that page is requested[1]
    (server side programming).

    > Currently have been wrestling with this for ages and read loads of books
    > on html/dhtml and javascript, i must be missing something but just not
    > able to find a solution.

    HTML is a language for describing the structure and semantics of a document
    along with its relationship to other resources.

    DHTML is a buzzword that generally means HTML + CSS + JavaScript + DOM.

    JavaScript is a programming language commonly embedded in HTML documents to
    produce visual effects or provide convenience functions for the user (such
    as warning them that data they are entering in a form doesn't meet certain
    requirements).

    None of them are a good solution for the problem you have described.

    [1] Although there might be a server side cache to avoid rerunning the
    script when it isn't needed.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Oct 4, 2005

  3. In article <13C0f.71957$>,
    says...
    > Have created a webpage as a template with a stylesheet, however am trying to
    > get the page to load content from content.txt file with little success.
    >
    > The reason i am trying to do this is so that i can update the content
    > without bothering with the html or javasript code.
    >
    > Currently have been wrestling with this for ages and read loads of books on
    > html/dhtml and javascript, i must be missing something but just not able to
    > find a solution.
    >
    > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

    Do a google for SSI or Server Side Includes. How do you intend to
    format the content of the text file?

    --

    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 4, 2005
  4. miphize

    Stuart Guest

    miphize wrote:
    > Have created a webpage as a template with a stylesheet, however am trying to
    > get the page to load content from content.txt file with little success.
    >
    > The reason i am trying to do this is so that i can update the content
    > without bothering with the html or javasript code.
    >
    > Currently have been wrestling with this for ages and read loads of books on
    > html/dhtml and javascript, i must be missing something but just not able to
    > find a solution.
    >
    > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Many thx

    It's easiest if you can use a scripting language such as PHP or ASP -
    then you can just include the files.

    --
    Stuart Brown <>
    http://www.edesign.cc

    Stuart, Oct 4, 2005
  5. miphize

    miphize Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > miphize wrote:
    >
    >> Have created a webpage as a template with a stylesheet, however am trying
    >> to get the page to load content from content.txt file with little
    >> success.

    >> The reason i am trying to do this is so that i can update the content
    >> without bothering with the html or javasript code.

    > The key is to use software that will take your text and output HTML.
    > Something like Markdown (which is written in Perl and has been ported to
    > other languages including PHP).
    >
    > This software could run on your workstation before you upload the pages
    > (preprocessing) or on the server each time that page is requested[1]
    > (server side programming).
    >
    >> Currently have been wrestling with this for ages and read loads of books
    >> on html/dhtml and javascript, i must be missing something but just not
    >> able to find a solution.

    > HTML is a language for describing the structure and semantics of a
    > document
    > along with its relationship to other resources.
    >
    > DHTML is a buzzword that generally means HTML + CSS + JavaScript + DOM.
    >
    > JavaScript is a programming language commonly embedded in HTML documents
    > produce visual effects or provide convenience functions for the user (such
    > as warning them that data they are entering in a form doesn't meet certain
    > requirements).
    >
    > None of them are a good solution for the problem you have described.
    >
    > [1] Although there might be a server side cache to avoid rerunning the
    > script when it isn't needed.

    > Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    Thank you very much, I thought I were looking in the wrong places and you
    have explained better than any of my supposedly web developer friends.

    Me thinks its a simple idea adding/changing/updating web content from a text
    file using CSS to do the formatting. Create a standard display of readable
    content, the lazy way of updating websites without the boring html and code
    <tags>.

    I know there is no simple solution, Markdown seems to be a step in the right
    direction although I'm not sure about Perl.

    Thx

    miphize, Oct 5, 2005
  6. miphize wrote:

    > Me thinks its a simple idea adding/changing/updating web content from a
    > text file using CSS to do the formatting.

    The trouble is that CSS is applied to markup, and a plain text file doesn't
    have any, therefore you either need to write some, or have software guess
    at the markup that should be there.

    > I know there is no simple solution, Markdown seems to be a step in the
    > right direction although I'm not sure about Perl.

    Perl is a mature, widespead, and nowhere near as scary as many people make
    out programming language. :)

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Oct 6, 2005