Local Database Storage

Discussion in 'Java' started by Lee W, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Lee W

    Lee W Guest

    Hi,

    I am trying to develop a very simple application(non-commericial) that
    needs to have database-style access locally, without the use of a server
    /network.

    I came across the Berkley DB from sleepycat.com which seems to fit the
    bill, however they only supply the source code and I don't have access
    to a suitable C compiler on my Windows box.

    Does anyone know anywhere that pre-compiled classes are available for
    Berkley DB or can possibly suggest an alternative system? Fitting in
    with the ethos of Java I would like them to be as cross-platform as
    possible.

    Thanks in advance for any advise.

    Regards

    Lee

    Lee W, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Lee W

    David Segall Guest

    Posted and emailed:

    Lee W <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am trying to develop a very simple application(non-commericial) that
    >needs to have database-style access locally, without the use of a server
    >/network.
    >
    >I came across the Berkley DB from sleepycat.com which seems to fit the
    >bill, however they only supply the source code and I don't have access
    >to a suitable C compiler on my Windows box.

    Yes you do! There is probably a port of gcc which runs on windows but,
    if not, there is Cygwin (http://cygwin.com/). I'm sure you can buy a
    CD somewhere if you don't have a fast internet connection.
    >Does anyone know anywhere that pre-compiled classes are available for
    >Berkley DB or can possibly suggest an alternative system? Fitting in
    >with the ethos of Java I would like them to be as cross-platform as
    >possible.

    I am currently on a similar quest and discovered HSQL
    (http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/web/hsqlDocsFrame.html). It can be used
    "in-process" so that only your program has access to the database or
    in client/server mode which they suggest for debugging even if you
    intend to deploy the in-process version. It is Java based and even
    supports stored procedures written in Java. The documentation, SQL
    language implementation and other features, while not up to
    PostgreSQL, are remarkably good for a small, free database.

    I have not tried it so I would be interested in any comments from the
    group.

    David Segall, Jul 22, 2003