local disk based JDBC implementation

Alex Hunsley

I'm looking for local disk storage based JDBC implementations (i.e. one
that stores the database in files on disk, the exact format isn't important)

I've found a few already:

http://www.csv-jdbc.com/ (commercial)

http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/ - in memory or on disk database.

http://www.servletguru.com/downloads.htm (see SimpleText.zip, is a text
JDBC driver)

Just wondering if anyone is using or knows of any more that I've missed
from my above list!

thanks
alex

shakahshakah

Don't know if you're using Windows or not, but if you are you might be
able to use the JDBC/ODBC bridge with the Microsoft text or Excel ODBC
drivers.

Juha Laiho

Alex Hunsley said:
I'm looking for local disk storage based JDBC implementations (i.e. one
that stores the database in files on disk, the exact format isn't important)

I've found a few already:

http://www.csv-jdbc.com/ (commercial)

http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/ - in memory or on disk database.

http://www.servletguru.com/downloads.htm (see SimpleText.zip, is a text
JDBC driver)

Just wondering if anyone is using or knows of any more that I've missed
from my above list!

Derby; a project recently donated to Apache by IBM. Like hsqldb; don't
know what are the actual differences.

Alex Hunsley

Don't know if you're using Windows or not, but if you are you might be
able to use the JDBC/ODBC bridge with the Microsoft text or Excel ODBC
drivers.

I had found references to that today, but didn't take them seriously for
some reason! (maybe it was the idea of bridging to something else adding
complexity; maybe the microsoft aspect put me off :)

thanks for pointing that out again,
alex

Alex Hunsley

Juha said:
Derby; a project recently donated to Apache by IBM. Like hsqldb; don't
know what are the actual differences.

thanks, I'm having a sniff around for that now...
alex

Thomas Kellerer

Juha Laiho wrote on 03.11.2004 17:12:
Derby; a project recently donated to Apache by IBM. Like hsqldb; don't
know what are the actual differences.

Derby is the version of Cloudscape that was donated to Apache from IBM.

For embedding into an application I would prefer HSQLDB. It's much smaller
(2MB download vs 80MB) and seems to offer (at least for the mentioned type
of application) a very similar performance.

Thomas

Ann

Alex Hunsley said:
I'm looking for local disk storage based JDBC implementations (i.e. one
that stores the database in files on disk, the exact format isn't important)

I've found a few already:

I use MySQL and the files are on my local disk.

conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://localhost/" + "jones");

where jones is the name of the database.

Lee Fesperman

Alex said:
I'm looking for local disk storage based JDBC implementations (i.e. one
that stores the database in files on disk, the exact format isn't important)

I've found a few already:

Just wondering if anyone is using or knows of any more that I've missed
from my above list!

Take a look at FirstSQL/J (commercial), see my sig.

Alex Hunsley

Thomas said:
Juha Laiho wrote on 03.11.2004 17:12:

Derby is the version of Cloudscape that was donated to Apache from IBM.

For embedding into an application I would prefer HSQLDB. It's much
smaller (2MB download vs 80MB) and seems to offer (at least for the
mentioned type of application) a very similar performance.

Thomas

The version of derby I've just downloaded - jars only, no docs - was
just above 2 megs in size. Which download are you talking about that was
80megs?

I got it here:
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html

alex

Frank

Juha said:
Derby; a project recently donated to Apache by IBM. Like hsqldb; don't
know what are the actual differences.

I'm on very thin ice here, but assume someone will correct me if I'm way
off.

Anyway, my impression is that Cloudscape works like a "real" disk-based
db engine, while HSQLDB is caching the whole dataset in memory.

Consequently, Cloudscape is a whole lot slower for small datasets, but
probably scales better when all the data won't fit in memory. Issue is,
for that kind of work you may not want an embedded db engine anyway..

It may do fine with a very small user base, though, and once you need
more juice, migrating to db2 should be a piece of cake.
Should I ever need to handle gigs of data in some single-user app, I'll
give Derby another look, until then I'm doing fine with HSQLDB and
PostgreSQL.

Thomas Kellerer

Anyway, my impression is that Cloudscape works like a "real" disk-based
db engine, while HSQLDB is caching the whole dataset in memory.

HSQLDB has so called "cached" tables that are not (or not completely) stored in
memory which would qualify as "real" disk-based as well.

Thomas

bilbo

Alex said:
I'm looking for local disk storage based JDBC implementations (i.e. one
that stores the database in files on disk, the exact format isn't important)

I've found a few already:

http://www.csv-jdbc.com/ (commercial)

http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/ - in memory or on disk database.

http://www.servletguru.com/downloads.htm (see SimpleText.zip, is a text
JDBC driver)

Just wondering if anyone is using or knows of any more that I've missed
from my above list!
Here's another one:

Mckoi SQL Database: http://mckoi.com/database/