Local storage question

TheCornjerker

I'm looking for two mechanisms for a hosted web application.

One is to allow users to take notes or make comments about a web page
and have the information stored locally on their computer. The data
cannot be accessible by the web server. When they browse back to that
page, the notes appear on the page.

The second is to have the user be able to enter a url pointing to a
local file, preferable using the <input type="file"> control and
browse to a file on their C: drive, and have a link created on the web
page that will launch the application associated with that file and
display the contents. For example: <a href="file:///C:/MyDocs/
Book1.xls">My Excel File</a>.

Are either of these possible with strictly javascript in a browser?
If not, do you know of any options with regards to plugins that offer
this functionality.

Thanks

timothytoe

[...]

The first can be done as a Firefox plug-in, of course. I don't see how
it could be done with JavaScript in the browser.