Local variables and functions

Robert Mannl

Hi!

I got one question. While I was coding a method earlier today, and that
method had lots of local variables, I was thinking:

"What happens when I introduce a new method sometime in the future,
while adding features to my program? That may lead to name clashes"

For example, lets say I use the local variable "ids" in a method - as
soon as I introduce a method called ids into the class, or a mixin of
that class - whatever - the program breaks! And it's not easy to avoid
that..

Am I missing something here?

Thanks :)

Rob

PS: btw I'm getting some spam to my brand new email address (this one
I'm using) - I searched the web for my email address and an archive of
this Ruby mailing list -- shouldn't that be avoided? Posting emails on
the web I mean --- it's not a big problem though, as this email is not
very important. Just curious

Robert Mannl

Nevermind -- I forgot local variables have precedence over method calls
-- if I understood it correctly

Cheers,

Kent Sibilev

Your local variables always hide methods with the same name. In order
to call a method instead of accessing a variable you should provide
some hints to Ruby like use parentheses () or access a method
explicitly through self.method_name.

Kent.

Eric Mahurin

Last I checked that won't help in Ruby 1.9 - local variables
always hide methods of the same name, even with the (). But,
that change (callable objects) may be reverted.