Locales

Rg

Hi all,

I am new to I18N in C and I have a few doubts (and probably many
misconcepts) about it. Here's some questions I can't find the answers
for yet.

1) Where can I find a good introductory material that will help me
understanding I18N in C, instead of giving me a lot of (more)
misconcepts?

2) I see a C program as a stream of bytes that is interpreted by a
compiler. So am I correct to say that

L"Long string"
"Longer string, but semantically not so long"

are both streams of bytes, no matter what the literals contents are?

3) If the answer for 2 is "yes" why do I need the L modifier for wide
strings?

That's all for now. Probably the answer for 1 would help me finding the
answers for 2 and 3, but...

Ben Bacarisse

Rg said:
Hi all,

I am new to I18N in C and I have a few doubts (and probably many
misconcepts) about it. Here's some questions I can't find the answers
for yet.

1) Where can I find a good introductory material that will help me
understanding I18N in C, instead of giving me a lot of (more)
misconcepts?

I hope others will jump in if they know really good ones, but I had
quick look at:

http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/chemnet/use/info/libc/libc_19.html

and I though it looked sound. Because it is GNU C there will be
extensions described that are non-standard so I would read it while
cross-referencing with something like the pages at

http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/?manual=compleat&page=lib_over.html

which describe Standard C headers.
2) I see a C program as a stream of bytes that is interpreted by a
compiler. So am I correct to say that

L"Long string"
"Longer string, but semantically not so long"

are both streams of bytes, no matter what the literals contents are?
Yes...

3) If the answer for 2 is "yes" why do I need the L modifier for wide
strings?

Because it causes the compiler to build an object of a different
type. "..." makes an array of char but L"..." makes and array of
wchar_t (the C type used for wide characters).

1, 1L and 1.0 are all "streams of bytes" but they describe values of
different types.

santosh

Rg said:
Hi all,

I am new to I18N in C and I have a few doubts (and probably many
misconcepts) about it. Here's some questions I can't find the answers
for yet.

1) Where can I find a good introductory material that will help me
understanding I18N in C, instead of giving me a lot of (more)
misconcepts?

A simple Google search turns up a few links. However I haven't checked
them out myself.

<developers.sun.com/dev/gadc/educationtutorial/creference/index.html>
<www.i18ngurus.com/docs/984813273.html>
<www.i18n.ca/workshops/CCI_Description.pdf>
<www.suodenjoki.dk/us/productions/articles/localization.htm>
<www.angelikalanger.com/Resources/Books/I18n.htm>