Locales

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Rg, Jan 19, 2007.

  1. Rg

    Rg Guest

    Hi all,

    I am new to I18N in C and I have a few doubts (and probably many
    misconcepts) about it. Here's some questions I can't find the answers
    for yet.

    1) Where can I find a good introductory material that will help me
    understanding I18N in C, instead of giving me a lot of (more)
    misconcepts?

    2) I see a C program as a stream of bytes that is interpreted by a
    compiler. So am I correct to say that

    L"Long string"
    "Longer string, but semantically not so long"

    are both streams of bytes, no matter what the literals contents are?

    3) If the answer for 2 is "yes" why do I need the L modifier for wide
    strings?

    That's all for now. Probably the answer for 1 would help me finding the
    answers for 2 and 3, but...

    Rg, Jan 19, 2007

  2. "Rg" <> writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am new to I18N in C and I have a few doubts (and probably many
    > misconcepts) about it. Here's some questions I can't find the answers
    > for yet.
    >
    > 1) Where can I find a good introductory material that will help me
    > understanding I18N in C, instead of giving me a lot of (more)
    > misconcepts?

    I hope others will jump in if they know really good ones, but I had
    quick look at:

    http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/chemnet/use/info/libc/libc_19.html

    and I though it looked sound. Because it is GNU C there will be
    extensions described that are non-standard so I would read it while
    cross-referencing with something like the pages at

    http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/?manual=compleat&page=lib_over.html

    which describe Standard C headers.

    > 2) I see a C program as a stream of bytes that is interpreted by a
    > compiler. So am I correct to say that
    >
    > L"Long string"
    > "Longer string, but semantically not so long"
    >
    > are both streams of bytes, no matter what the literals contents are?

    Yes...

    > 3) If the answer for 2 is "yes" why do I need the L modifier for wide
    > strings?

    Because it causes the compiler to build an object of a different
    type. "..." makes an array of char but L"..." makes and array of
    wchar_t (the C type used for wide characters).

    1, 1L and 1.0 are all "streams of bytes" but they describe values of
    different types.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Jan 19, 2007

  3. Rg

    santosh Guest

    Rg wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am new to I18N in C and I have a few doubts (and probably many
    > misconcepts) about it. Here's some questions I can't find the answers
    > for yet.
    >
    > 1) Where can I find a good introductory material that will help me
    > understanding I18N in C, instead of giving me a lot of (more)
    > misconcepts?

    A simple Google search turns up a few links. However I haven't checked
    them out myself.

    <developers.sun.com/dev/gadc/educationtutorial/creference/index.html>
    <www.i18ngurus.com/docs/984813273.html>
    <www.i18n.ca/workshops/CCI_Description.pdf>
    <www.suodenjoki.dk/us/productions/articles/localization.htm>
    <www.angelikalanger.com/Resources/Books/I18n.htm>