Localization:Translating DB values in local languages

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by yashgt@gmail.com, Mar 24, 2007.

  1. Guest

    In our ASP .NET 1.1 application, we query the database to obtain a
    list of categories such as "Agriculture", "Business", etc. and display
    them to the user, each against a checkbox. The names of categories are
    obtained dynamically from the DB. The categories are stored in the DB
    in English. We now want to support multiple languages in our
    application. The DB values will remain unchanged, but the categories
    will be displayed in different languages based on the Locale. The
    categories will be translated to their local equivalents in the local
    characters.
    Ideally, I expect a facility by which I can translate such as:
    Translate(MyStringFromDB,"zh-CHS")
    This would lookup the translation table and find the Chinese word for
    the English value contained in MyStringFromDB.
    Where should these translations be stored and how should they be shown
    in the local language. Should be use resource files to achieve this?
    Any pointers to the technique to be used, will be greatly helpful.

    Thanks,
    Yash
    , Mar 24, 2007

  2. On Mar 24, 7:35 am, wrote:
    > In our ASP .NET 1.1 application, we query the database to obtain a
    > list of categories such as "Agriculture", "Business", etc. and display
    > them to the user, each against a checkbox. The names of categories are
    > obtained dynamically from the DB. The categories are stored in the DB
    > in English. We now want to support multiple languages in our
    > application. The DB values will remain unchanged, but the categories
    > will be displayed in different languages based on the Locale. The
    > categories will be translated to their local equivalents in the local
    > characters.
    > Ideally, I expect a facility by which I can translate such as:
    > Translate(MyStringFromDB,"zh-CHS")
    > This would lookup the translation table and find the Chinese word for
    > the English value contained in MyStringFromDB.
    > Where should these translations be stored and how should they be shown
    > in the local language. Should be use resource files to achieve this?
    > Any pointers to the technique to be used, will be greatly helpful.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Yash

    Do it in the database. It will be at least faster.

    SQL Server?

    TBL_Categories is your English categories

    TBL_
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 24, 2007