Localization:Translating DB values in local languages

yashgt

In our ASP .NET 1.1 application, we query the database to obtain a
list of categories such as "Agriculture", "Business", etc. and display
them to the user, each against a checkbox. The names of categories are
obtained dynamically from the DB. The categories are stored in the DB
in English. We now want to support multiple languages in our
application. The DB values will remain unchanged, but the categories
will be displayed in different languages based on the Locale. The
categories will be translated to their local equivalents in the local
characters.
Ideally, I expect a facility by which I can translate such as:
Translate(MyStringFromDB,"zh-CHS")
This would lookup the translation table and find the Chinese word for
the English value contained in MyStringFromDB.
Where should these translations be stored and how should they be shown
in the local language. Should be use resource files to achieve this?
Any pointers to the technique to be used, will be greatly helpful.

Thanks,
Yash

Guest

[...]

Do it in the database. It will be at least faster.

SQL Server?

TBL_Categories is your English categories

TBL_