localizing web form without setting values programmatically

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Philipp Sumi, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Philipp Sumi

    Philipp Sumi Guest

    Hello

    I have to start an Asp.net project that involves i18n, so I was doing
    some reading on the subject. I'm not sure (and I *really* hope I'm
    wrong) but is it true, that there is no way to store localized values in
    resource files without assigning them programmatically? Which means: I
    can't just set a labels text as usual and change this value in a
    localized resource file which is being assigned dynamically regarding
    the regional settings?

    Having 50 pages with loads of controls that all have settings like
    <%=LocRM.GetString("txtWelcome")%>
    is a design- and administration-nightmare and a waste of the built-in
    i18n-support...

    :-(

    Thanks for your advice

    Philipp
    Philipp Sumi, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Hi,

    well, you can use the normal way (ie. <asp:label id="..." text="MyText"
    ..../> and then overwrite it with LabelName.Text =
    MyLocRM.GetString("lblMyLabel"). Still this is a lot of work. My approach
    was to build it as I normally would and then get a temp to do the RM
    plumbing :) - Worked pretty well and you still can use the WYSIWYG editor if
    you really have to. Other than that I wish that MS would do another version
    of this one here, which sounds very promising, but has it's own problems:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/entloctoolkit.asp

    Best regards,

    Marc Höppner
    NeoGeo

    Marc Hoeppner, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Philipp Sumi

    Philipp Sumi Guest

    Hello John, Karl and Marc

    Thanks for the fast reply! I'll evaluate the Localization Toolkit which
    sounds promising. Furthermore, I discovered a localization component
    that provides the functionality I was missing. Unfortunately, it's
    commercial but it's a fallback if the toolkit does not meet my requirements:

    http://www.winformreports.co.uk/features_loc.htm

    Thank you very much for your inputs :)

    Philipp
    Philipp Sumi, Jul 23, 2003