localizing web form without setting values programmatically

Philipp Sumi

Hello

I have to start an Asp.net project that involves i18n, so I was doing
some reading on the subject. I'm not sure (and I *really* hope I'm
wrong) but is it true, that there is no way to store localized values in
resource files without assigning them programmatically? Which means: I
can't just set a labels text as usual and change this value in a
localized resource file which is being assigned dynamically regarding
the regional settings?

Having 50 pages with loads of controls that all have settings like
<%=LocRM.GetString("txtWelcome")%>
is a design- and administration-nightmare and a waste of the built-in
i18n-support...

:-(

Thanks for your advice

Philipp

Marc Hoeppner

Hi,

well, you can use the normal way (ie. <asp:label id="..." text="MyText"
..../> and then overwrite it with LabelName.Text =
MyLocRM.GetString("lblMyLabel"). Still this is a lot of work. My approach
was to build it as I normally would and then get a temp to do the RM
plumbing :) - Worked pretty well and you still can use the WYSIWYG editor if
you really have to. Other than that I wish that MS would do another version
of this one here, which sounds very promising, but has it's own problems:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/entloctoolkit.asp

Best regards,

Marc Höppner
NeoGeo

Philipp Sumi

Hello John, Karl and Marc

Thanks for the fast reply! I'll evaluate the Localization Toolkit which
sounds promising. Furthermore, I discovered a localization component
that provides the functionality I was missing. Unfortunately, it's
commercial but it's a fallback if the toolkit does not meet my requirements:

http://www.winformreports.co.uk/features_loc.htm

Thank you very much for your inputs :)

Philipp