location bar always visible in IE 7 pop-ups

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by kaston3, Aug 28, 2006.

  1. kaston3

    kaston3 Guest

    So it seems that in their unduly extreme crusade to fight phising,
    spyware and thousand of enemies MS IE 7 designers have decided not to
    let designers open popups without the address/location toolbar.

    thouh in the "example" here it seems to suggest otherwise

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/open_0.asp

    window.open("Sample.htm",null,

    "height=200,width=400,status=yes,toolbar=no,menubar=no,location=no");-->
    is supposed to open window with no location bar.

    This is really very bad news. Many game, photo and style sites rely on
    no-bars-at-all pop-ups to display info elegantly without any ugly html
    code trace.

    Can anybody confirm if this is final since I am working with the latest
    IE7 candidate release??

    Is there any way around this monstruosity by Redmon designers who
    happen to add this one to IE7 top bars and icon distribution ugliness?
    kaston3, Aug 28, 2006

  2. kaston3 wrote:

    > So it seems that in their unduly extreme crusade to fight phising,
    > spyware and thousand of enemies MS IE 7 designers have decided not to
    > let designers open popups without the address/location toolbar.

    > thouh in the "example" here it seems to suggest otherwise

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/open_0.asp

    > window.open("Sample.htm",null,
    >
    > "height=200,width=400,status=yes,toolbar=no,menubar=no,location=no");-->
    > is supposed to open window with no location bar.
    >
    > This is really very bad news. Many game, photo and style sites rely on
    > no-bars-at-all pop-ups to display info elegantly without any ugly html
    > code trace.
    >
    > Can anybody confirm if this is final since I am working with the latest
    > IE7 candidate release??
    >
    > Is there any way around this monstruosity by Redmon designers who
    > happen to add this one to IE7 top bars and icon distribution ugliness?

    IIRC this is the result of a meeting of developers of the major browsers to
    exchange ideas how security can be improved. So this
    a) is not a "monstruosity by Redmon designers"
    b) will happen in other browsers, too

    A good browser may allow the *user* to remove the location bar, perhaps
    permanently for popups on certain domains, if she thinks it is annoying.

    IMHO this is a good idea.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    Benjamin Niemann, Aug 28, 2006

  3. kaston3 wrote:
    > So it seems that in their unduly extreme crusade to fight phising,
    > spyware and thousand of enemies MS IE 7 designers have decided not to
    > let designers open popups without the address/location toolbar.

    > thouh in the "example" here it seems to suggest otherwise
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/open_0.asp
    >

    > window.open("Sample.htm",null,
    >
    > "height=200,width=400,status=yes,toolbar=no,menubar=no,location=no");-->
    > is supposed to open window with no location bar.
    >
    > This is really very bad news. Many game, photo and style sites rely on
    > no-bars-at-all pop-ups to display info elegantly without any ugly html
    > code trace.

    So in your opinion, this is tremendously more important than security,
    including the prevention of identity theft?
    Harlan Messinger, Aug 28, 2006
  4. kaston3 wrote:
    > So it seems that in their unduly extreme crusade to fight
    > phising, spyware and thousand of enemies

    "Unduly extreme"? Isn't making it impossible for the malicious to do
    what they should never have been allowed to do in the first place a
    sensible action?

    > MS IE 7 designers have decided not to let designers open
    > popups without the address/location toolbar.

    <snip>

    Increasingly restricting the ability of scripts to dictate the form of
    their windows has been the trend in web browsers for more than half a
    decade.

    > This is really very bad news.

    Bad news for who? I have never written a script that has any interest in
    whether a browser window shows a location bar or not, so from my point
    of view nothing has changed.

    > Many game, photo and style sites rely on no-bars-at-all
    > pop-ups to display info elegantly

    A mistake is not any less a mistake as a result of many people making
    it. If some designers have kept their heads buried in the sand for the
    last half decade, not seen that their control over new window features
    (and even the new windows themselves) has been increasingly restricted,
    not understood the reason for this trend, or denied its significance for
    some "majority" of browser users, then they may have created designs
    predicated upon poor/false assumptions and consequently fragile.

    > without any ugly html code trace.

    I have no idea what that is supposed to refer to.

    > Can anybody confirm if this is final since I am working
    > with the latest IE7 candidate release??

    The historical trend is that any browser feature that is subject to
    abuse by (any) script authors will be increasingly restricted over time
    (if not actually removed).

    > Is there any way around this monstruosity by Redmon
    > designers who happen to add this one to IE7 top bars and
    > icon distribution ugliness?

    There is no need for any "way around" anything as the inherent
    unreliability of attempting to open new browser windows has long since
    made that an inappropriate action in browser script design. Alternative
    approaches to the prevention of the types of content commonly placed in
    pop-up windows avoid the issues of pop-up windows entirely.

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Aug 28, 2006
  5. kaston3

    Matt Kruse Guest

    kaston3 wrote:
    > So it seems that in their unduly extreme crusade to fight phising,
    > spyware and thousand of enemies MS IE 7 designers have decided not to
    > let designers open popups without the address/location toolbar.

    With the more widespread use of DIV-based popup "windows" in conjunction
    with ajax, I'm not sure popup windows will even remain relevant for much
    longer anyway. Especially not for the kind of functionality you're referring
    to.

    --
    Matt Kruse
    http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com
    Matt Kruse, Aug 28, 2006
  6. kaston3

    Randy Webb Guest

    kaston3 said the following on 8/28/2006 6:48 AM:
    > So it seems that in their unduly extreme crusade to fight phising,
    > spyware and thousand of enemies MS IE 7 designers have decided not to
    > let designers open popups without the address/location toolbar.

    Your extreme stupidity is overwhelming and doesn't deserve much of a
    response.

    But, anybody who depends on popups isn't much of a "designer" but rather
    they are a "wannabe".

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Aug 28, 2006
  7. kaston3

    Matt Kruse Guest

    Matt Kruse, Aug 28, 2006
  8. kaston3

    Randy Webb Guest

    Matt Kruse said the following on 8/28/2006 3:30 PM:
    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >> Your extreme stupidity is overwhelming and doesn't deserve much of a
    >> response.

    > Randy, you seem rather harsh as of late.

    Maybe, but it comes from reading posts like this one's original too many
    times from different people.

    > You're not turning into Randy "PointedEars" Webb, are you? :)

    I would reply to that but nothing I can think of saying in reply is fit
    to be read in a public forum, even if it isn't a family oriented forum.

    But, that does remind me that I can't email you at mattkruse.com from my
    comcast.net email address.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Aug 29, 2006
  9. kaston3

    Matt Kruse Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > But, that does remind me that I can't email you at mattkruse.com from
    > my comcast.net email address.

    You get an error?
    I get several thousand junk emails a day so I have lots of filters running.
    I hope one of them isn't cutting out legitimate email.

    Matt Kruse, Aug 29, 2006
  10. kaston3

    Randy Webb Guest

    Matt Kruse said the following on 8/28/2006 10:56 PM:
    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >> But, that does remind me that I can't email you at mattkruse.com from
    >> my comcast.net email address.

    > You get an error?

    Returned to sender.

    > I get several thousand junk emails a day so I have lots of filters running.
    > I hope one of them isn't cutting out legitimate email.

    I just sent another, will see if it goes through.

    I think my mail had to do with dealing with script blocks in HTML
    snippets retrieved via an AJAX request so I may have gotten an address
    from somewhere on the website.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Aug 29, 2006