<location> multiple file question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by David Thielen, Oct 21, 2006.

  1. Hi;

    I need to have the following in Web.config:
    <location path="help/login*.htm">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <allow users="*"/>
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>

    But it does not like the * in login*.htm. We have this as the help files for
    the login page - but we have login.htm, login-en.htm, login-en-us.htm, etc.
    28 so far and growing. Do we need to list each languages help as a seperate
    <location> set of nodes?

    If so this is a giant PITA. (Microsoft still seems to not think through
    globalization issues that well.)

    --
    thanks - dave
    david_at_windward_dot_net

    David Thielen, Oct 21, 2006

  2. you can only specify files or a directory. put them all into a single directory.

    Also be aware that htm files will only get affected by forms auth if you
    have mapped them to the ASP.NET runtime.

    ---
    Dominick Baier, DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier, Oct 22, 2006

  3. Hi Dave,

    I agree with Dominick that you'd better put all those help document
    pages(which does not requier user to login) in a sub directory so that you
    can use <location> element to configure <authorization> setting for the
    entire directory instead of individual pages.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 23, 2006
  4. I tried help/* and help/*.htm but didn't think of help - that worked great.

    David Thielen, Oct 23, 2006