log4cpp

rsahel

Hi friends,

I'm trying to compile the log4cpp libraries, but have been seeing some
issues. These libraries were created by sourceforge, and the
workspaces were created for MSVC6++. I am using the same, just for the
sake of these libraries.

I guess since these libraries are so widely used, I had expected these
libraries to work "out of the box", but to my dismay, I am faced with
compilation errors! Most seem to be of the format:

"f:\development\dax\log4cpp-1.0\include\log4cpp\factoryparams.hh(85) :
error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'const class
log4cpp::details::required_params_validator &__thiscall
log4cpp::details::required_params_validator::eek:perator ()(c ..."

Please let me know if you need more info.

Anyways... I haven't gone and tried to make any modifications here,
because I assumed that if I have done everything correctly, the
workspace should compile "as is". Can anyone please direct me towards
my problem. I've done some google searching to find others who I would
have expected to encounter the same issue, but it looks like I'm
pretty much alone here!

Thank you kindly!

Rishi

Vaclav Haisman

[...]

You should probably be reporting this as a bug in their SourceForge tracker
or such rather than here.

--
VH

AnonMail2005

[...]

First, msvc6 is a very old compiler which you really don't want to
use.

Second, the log4cpp web page, here: http://log4cpp.sourceforge.net/
refers to another implementation here: http://log4cplus.sourceforge.net/

That implementation has project files for both msvc6 and msvc8. Keep
in mind that msvc8 is the compiler that comes with Visual Studio 2005
so it's not new. I was able to compile and link the msvc8 project
("Debug" build) w/o any changes.

You should be able to download msvc8 and the VS2005 IDE (I think for
free). If not, and there is newer IDE available, you will be able to
open the VS2005 projects and it will upgrade/convert them.

But, do yourself a favor, forget about msvc6.

HTH

rsahel

Thank you both for your responses.

I don't typically use MSVC6. I had just pulled it out to see if I
could get these libraries built. Usually I use the new 2008 express
IDEs. Now that you've directed me to this newer project, I will give
it a go.

Thanks again!

Rishi