Log4J, DailyRollingFileAppender is not extendable ... !

Discussion in 'Java' started by etienno@gmail.com, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi there,

    a little comment to the guys that made the DailyRollingFileAppender ( *
    @author Eirik Lygre
    * @author Ceki Gulcu). Why is DailyRollingFileAppender not simply
    extendable?

    I mean that there is some private and or "default/package" fieds with
    no getter acessors. So, no one can overide and extend the
    DailyRollingFileAppender methods... per example I cannot change the way
    the file name is build...

    So the only way here is to make a copy and paste of all the code and
    modify the custom classe. Not very nice and smell bad. Knowing that
    Log4j is used by many java programmers... It could be very simple to
    refactor this classe (and many other one) and make
    DailyRollingFileAppender a bit more coherent with other
    RollingFileAppender, etc...

    Etienne
    Paris.
    , Jul 10, 2006

  2. Oliver Wong Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > a little comment to the guys that made the DailyRollingFileAppender ( *
    > @author Eirik Lygre
    > * @author Ceki Gulcu). Why is DailyRollingFileAppender not simply
    > extendable?

    If I google for "Eirik Lygre" I get an e-mail address for him/her. Same
    with "Ceki Gulcu". I don't want to post them here in case there's harvesting
    spam bots.

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Jul 10, 2006