Log4J, DailyRollingFileAppender is not extendable ... !

etienno

Hi there,

a little comment to the guys that made the DailyRollingFileAppender ( *
@author Eirik Lygre
* @author Ceki Gulcu). Why is DailyRollingFileAppender not simply
extendable?

I mean that there is some private and or "default/package" fieds with
no getter acessors. So, no one can overide and extend the
DailyRollingFileAppender methods... per example I cannot change the way
the file name is build...

So the only way here is to make a copy and paste of all the code and
modify the custom classe. Not very nice and smell bad. Knowing that
Log4j is used by many java programmers... It could be very simple to
refactor this classe (and many other one) and make
DailyRollingFileAppender a bit more coherent with other
RollingFileAppender, etc...

Etienne
Paris.

Oliver Wong

Hi there,

a little comment to the guys that made the DailyRollingFileAppender ( *
@author Eirik Lygre
* @author Ceki Gulcu). Why is DailyRollingFileAppender not simply
extendable?

If I google for "Eirik Lygre" I get an e-mail address for him/her. Same
with "Ceki Gulcu". I don't want to post them here in case there's harvesting
spam bots.

- Oliver