log4j file appender relative path + sysdeo plugin in Eclipse forlaunching Tomcat

Discussion in 'Java' started by Alex Hunsley, Apr 19, 2006.

  1. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    I've had this issue before, and found a solution before, which now
    eludes me...

    (Using Tomcat 5.5.12 under XP Pro, Eclipse 3.1.2 + Sysdeo plugin.)

    I have a tomcat servlet that uses log4j to write to a file appender (i.e
    a file). The file name for the appender is specified as a relative path
    in the usual way.
    If I launch Tomcat using the tomcat monitor program (i.e. outside
    Eclipse), log4j writes to a log file with a path relative to the servlet
    root, which is the desired behaviour. However, if I launch Tomcat using
    the Sysdeo plugin in Eclipse, log4j constructs the log file path
    relative to the Eclipse install directory, with undesirable results.

    How can I get log4j to construct the log file path relative to the
    servlet root when launching Tomcat from Sysdeo in Eclipse?

    I've googled till I'm schmoogled and tried the log4j docs with no luck.
    Also, can't see any likely looking settings for this problem in
    Eclipse/Sysdeo...
    Alex Hunsley, Apr 19, 2006