Logging APIs

Discussion in 'Java' started by Robert Elliot, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. I'm familiar with Log4J, I've read about Java 1.4 Logging, used
    Commons logging to sit on top of Log4J (and read an interesting
    article arguing you should not use commons logging!), and also used
    the Avalon logging API (which seems horrid to me).

    Just wondering if there are a) any other logging APIs knocking around
    and b) any essays comparing such APIs? (I've found and read a number
    of comparisons between the 1.4 and Log4J APIs, I'm thinking of
    comparisons with other ones if they exist.)

    Reason for asking is that all I've played with/read about so far only
    discuss 1.4 and Log4J and generally come down in favour of Log4J.
    However, in an unrelated discussion on the Java Gaming forums someone
    clearly pretty experienced made a throw-away comment about Log4J being
    a very poor logging API. I didn't take him up on the statement at the
    time and probably couldn't find the comment again now, but it's been
    steadily gnawing away at the back of my mind and I'd be interested if
    anyone shares that view, would like to explain it and could offer an
    alternative API they prefer.

    Currently I'm very happy with Log4J, but then I bet I'd have been
    happy with raw meat had I been born before someone worked out it
    tastes better after putting it on the fire for a bit...

    Robert Elliot, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Robert Elliot

    iksrazal Guest

    (Robert Elliot) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Just wondering if there are a) any other logging APIs knocking around
    > and b) any essays comparing such APIs? (I've found and read a number
    > of comparisons between the 1.4 and Log4J APIs, I'm thinking of
    > comparisons with other ones if they exist.)

    I have used protomattter for five years now, and I'm very happy with
    it. Several times I've had log4j problems due to
    classloader/singleton/multiple ear/ issues in Websphere app servers
    and the like. Also, every open source projects has standardized on
    log4j/commons, which can and does effect your logging criteria. Using
    protomatter isolates me from all these issues. Basically I still use
    log4j for all the third party dependencies, and use protomatter for my
    stuff. For me that works really well.

    There's a white paper on the protomatter site (sourceforge project)
    that does do some log4j comparisons.

    HTH

    Outsource to an American programmer living in brazil!
    http://www.braziloutsource.com/
    iksrazal

    iksrazal, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Robert Elliot

    Wei Jiang Guest

    Try SuperLogging at http://www.acelet.com/super/SuperLogging/index.html
    It is not an API. It is a logging system: cooked meat.

    Also, there are couple interesting articles:
    http://www.acelet.com/whitepaper/AreJdkLoggingOrLog4JReadyForJ2ee.html
    http://www.acelet.com/whitepaper/loggingWithWhereabouts.html

    Wei Jiang, Jul 8, 2004
  4. Thanks very much - very interesting!