logging into secure website with script

dpoehls

Hello there,

I am new to python, and shell scriping in general..I have done quite a
bit of php, but that it about it. Anyhow, I am wondering if it would be
possible to write a python script that would login to a password
enabled site (qmailadmin) and then be able to add a new account. I
imagine it could be done by accessing the website and then it would
send POSTs to the website? If this makes no sense, I apologize, just
wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks ahead
of time!

James Stroud

dpoehls said:
Hello there,

I am new to python, and shell scriping in general..I have done quite a
bit of php, but that it about it. Anyhow, I am wondering if it would be
possible to write a python script that would login to a password
enabled site (qmailadmin) and then be able to add a new account. I
imagine it could be done by accessing the website and then it would
send POSTs to the website? If this makes no sense, I apologize, just
wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks ahead
of time!

Spend some time perusing this code:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/302930

It helped me with a similar problem. I'm not sure if it works for https.

If the form is using POST to "hide" the login, just suck the web page
and change POST to GET. Then use your sucked webpage and submit your
login from it. You will then see the fields (separated by "+"s and the
values, separated from the fields by "="s). Use the fields and values to
populate the "txdata" dictionary in the example using urllib.urlencode
(an example is in the discussion).

James

Fuzzyman

dpoehls said:
Hello there,

I am new to python, and shell scriping in general..I have done quite a
bit of php, but that it about it. Anyhow, I am wondering if it would be
possible to write a python script that would login to a password
enabled site (qmailadmin) and then be able to add a new account. I
imagine it could be done by accessing the website and then it would
send POSTs to the website? If this makes no sense, I apologize, just
wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks ahead
of time!

You should use urllib2 to fetch URLs. See :

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/urllib2.shtml

urllib2 will also allow you to do POST.

How you handle the password depends on whether it is by a form, or by
basic authentication. For basic authentication see :

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/authentication.shtml

If it is through a form, you can use ClientForm. Alternatively just
manually do the POST from urllib2. You may want to use
ClientCookie/cookielib for (automatic) cookie handling :

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/cookielib.shtml

All the best,

Fuzzyman