Logging irb stdin & stdout to file but still remain showing

Shin guey Wong

Hi,

I search the ruby-talk and find a few discussion on redirecting the
STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR. However, I still couldn't get it to work on
redirecting the IO to file and also to the console. I am working on
windows.

Here is what I want to do,
1. run irb,
2. run a command like :
log "c:\irb_log.txt"
3. continue on irb and run other command, all the stdin, stdout and
stderr will be logging into the irb_log.txt and still showing on screen.
4. run nolog, :it will stop loggin the stdin, stdout and stderr.

Anyone has any idea how to do this?
I have try to redirect the output like STDOUT.repopen("c:\tmp.log",
"w"), but i will not get the output on the console.

Thanks in advance.

Shin guey Wong

Shin said:
Anyone has any idea how to do this?
I have try to redirect the output like STDOUT.repopen("c:\tmp.log",
"w"), but i will not get the output on the console.

No answer? well, I just found an ugly hack on myself....
heres the code, just put it in the .irbrc file and you will get those 2
functions, log, nolog for free...:p

For the STDIN, I am really no idea how to get it, I had to hack the IRB
to get it work, here, I only get the STDIN from the Readline(if the user
didn't enable readline in IRB, they will never get the stdin log in the
file.

Did anyone has better idea on accomplish this? How to get the STDIN from
the IRB history?

module Kernel
def log(file_name, attr)
$irb_log_file = File.open(file_name, attr)
end

def nolog
if ($irb_log_file )
$irb_log_file.close
end
$irb_log_file = nil
end
end

class << STDOUT
alias :eek:ld_write :write
def write(*args)
if ($irb_log_file)
$irb_log_file.write args
end
old_write(args)
end
end

class << STDERR
alias :eek:ld_write :write
def write(*args)
if ($irb_log_file)
$irb_log_file.write args
end
old_write(args)
end
end

module IRB
class ReadlineInputMethod < InputMethod
alias :eek:ld_gets :gets
def gets
l = old_gets
if($irb_log_file)
$irb_log_file.puts @prompt << l
end
end
end
end

Here is how you use it:
---------------------------hehe
=> nilhello
=> nil
And the log file:[/QUOTE]

RubyTalk

Hey,
I don't have the answer but I think it can be done by overriding the
conf settings.

Open up IRB and type conf
I am on a mac and I see
conf.io=#<IRB::ReadlineInputMethod:0x3b63c>
conf.irb=#<IRB::Irb:0x41758>
conf.irb_name="irb"
conf.irb_path="(irb)"
conf.last_value=...
conf.line_no=12
conf.load_modules=[]
conf.output_method=#<IRB::StdioOutputMethod:0x1c96c>

The StdioOutputMethod rdoc only shows a print method
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/IRB/StdioOutputMethod.html
And all the code does is pass the args to STDOUT.print. If your log
class has a print method try setting your conf.output_method to an
instance of it.

The ReadLineInput is the same but with more methods.
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/IRB/ReadlineInputMethod.html
Once you figure this part out you can drop it in your irbrc file it
will load every time you start up irb.

Thanks
Becker