    Does anybode know of such a handler?

    --
    Gregor

    Gregor Horvath, Sep 9, 2009

  2. Gregor Horvath

    Stef Mientki Guest

    Gregor Horvath wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > For an application in an industrial environment where the workers are
    > not always sitting in front of the monitor, but are within earshot of
    > the PC I would need an sound / speech handler for the standard logging
    > system. It should beep or better say the logging message. (with
    > standard filtering etc.)
    > I google search was not successfull.
    > Does anybode know of such a handler?
    >
    > --
    > Gregor

    if you're on windows, you can use the windows speech api:

    import win32com.client
    s = win32com.client.Dispatch("SAPI.SpVoice")
    s.Speak('Is this punthoofd ')

    cheers,
    Stef

    Stef Mientki, Sep 9, 2009

  3. Gregor Horvath

    Chris Hulan Guest

    On Sep 9, 11:03 am, Gregor Horvath <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > For an application in an industrial environment where the workers are
    > not always sitting in front of the monitor, but are within earshot of
    > the PC I would need an sound / speech handler for the standard logging
    > system. It should beep or better say the logging message. (with
    > standard filtering etc.)
    > I google search was not successfull.
    > Does anybode know of such a handler?
    >
    > --
    > Gregor

    Its Java, but JFugue and Log4JFugue show an interesting take on log
    sonification

    Chris Hulan, Sep 9, 2009
  4. Gregor Horvath

    Tim Chase Guest

    > For an application in an industrial environment where the workers are
    > not always sitting in front of the monitor, but are within earshot of
    > the PC I would need an sound / speech handler for the standard logging
    > system. It should beep or better say the logging message. (with
    > standard filtering etc.)
    > I google search was not successfull.
    > Does anybode know of such a handler?

    I think this would end up being an OS-specific thing. On Win32,
    Stef suggests using SAPI (which may need to be installed for
    older versions such as Win2k). I've not used Win32 TTS for a
    while, and don't have ready access to a Win32 box with sound to
    run some tests.

    On *nix, there's the Festival/Flite/Mbrola suite of TTS tools.
    You might be able to have one of their toolkit listen on a pipe
    to read whatever comes in, and then just log to that FIFO target
    as a file.

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Sep 10, 2009
  5. Gregor Horvath

    Matteo Guest

    On Sep 9, 6:02 pm, Tim Chase <> wrote:
    > > For an application in an industrial environment where the workers are
    > > not always sitting in front of the monitor, but are within earshot of
    > > the PC I would need an sound / speech handler for the standard logging
    > > system. It should beep or better say the logging message. (with
    > > standard filtering etc.)
    > > I google search was not successfull.
    > > Does anybode know of such a handler?

    > On *nix, there's the Festival/Flite/Mbrola suite of TTS tools.
    > You might be able to have one of their toolkit listen on a pipe
    > to read whatever comes in, and then just log to that FIFO target
    > as a file.
    >
    > -tkc

    Also, in the unlikely event that you are using a Mac for industrial
    applications, you can use the OS X "say" command in a similar manner,
    using Popen. Or, for very infrequent messages, just os.system("say " +
    log_text).

    -matt

    Matteo, Sep 10, 2009