Logging to a file and closing it again properly (logging module)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Christoph Haas, Jun 12, 2006.

  1. Evening,

    I have an application that is running in an endless loop processing an
    incoming queue. Every run is supposed to write a log file about the run
    and then close it again. While the 'logging' module is generally working
    well (even though the documentation makes me miss some proper examples
    how everything works together) I can't seem to close the log file again
    to open a new one.

    This is basically what I'm doing:

    log = logging.getLogger("myapplication")
    log.addHandler(logging.FileHandler("/tmp/testfile"))
    log.setLevel(logging.INFO)
    log.info("foo")

    Now I'm missing a way to tell this handler to go away. Through 'ipython'
    I found out there is a log.handlers array that contains all the
    handlers. Perhaps I could delete all of them but I'm sure there is a
    more proper way to close files again.

    Googling found me:

    .>>> logging._handlers.clear()
    .>>> logging.root.handlers = []
    .>>> for l in logging.Logger.manager.loggerDict.values():
    .>>> l.handlers = []

    But this looks really really ugly. I don't like to mess with the gears
    in the 'logging' module.

    Ideas?

    Kindly
    Christoph