Logging to zero or more destinations

Discussion in 'Python' started by samwyse, Jul 8, 2008.

  1. samwyse

    samwyse Guest

    In the Python 2.5 Library Reference, section 14.5.3 (Logging to
    multiple destinations), an example is given of logging to both a file
    and the console. This is done by using logging.basicConfig() to
    configure a log file, and then calling
    logging.getLogger('').addHandler(console) to add the console.

    However, in section 14.5.4 (Sending and receiving logging events
    across a network), a call is made to
    rootLogger.addHandler(socketHandler), and later it is stated that "On
    the client side, nothing is printed on the console".

    Finally, back in section 14.5.2 (Basic example), it's stated that "by
    default, the root logger is configured to only handle messages with a
    severity of WARNING or above. The message format is also a
    configuration default, as is the output destination of the messages -
    sys.stderr."

    The only way that I can see for all three statements to be consistent
    is that the root logger starts with an empty list of handlers, and
    doesn't instantiate a default handler until either
    logging.basicConfig() is called, or the first time that a message is
    logged. This would also seem to imply that there's no way to use an
    empty handler list (say, if you want to suppress all logging), because
    the root handler will instantiate a handler for you. Is this correct?

    P.S. I tried researching this further by myself, but the logging
    module doesn't come with source (apparently it's written in C?) and I
    don't have the time to find and download the source to my laptop.

    Thanks!

    samwyse, Jul 8, 2008

  2. samwyse

    Robert Kern Guest

    samwyse wrote:
    > In the Python 2.5 Library Reference, section 14.5.3 (Logging to
    > multiple destinations), an example is given of logging to both a file
    > and the console. This is done by using logging.basicConfig() to
    > configure a log file, and then calling
    > logging.getLogger('').addHandler(console) to add the console.
    >
    > However, in section 14.5.4 (Sending and receiving logging events
    > across a network), a call is made to
    > rootLogger.addHandler(socketHandler), and later it is stated that "On
    > the client side, nothing is printed on the console".
    >
    > Finally, back in section 14.5.2 (Basic example), it's stated that "by
    > default, the root logger is configured to only handle messages with a
    > severity of WARNING or above. The message format is also a
    > configuration default, as is the output destination of the messages -
    > sys.stderr."
    >
    > The only way that I can see for all three statements to be consistent
    > is that the root logger starts with an empty list of handlers, and
    > doesn't instantiate a default handler until either
    > logging.basicConfig() is called, or the first time that a message is
    > logged. This would also seem to imply that there's no way to use an
    > empty handler list (say, if you want to suppress all logging), because
    > the root handler will instantiate a handler for you. Is this correct?

    Sort of. Your analysis of what happens is entirely correct (see below). However,
    a way to suppress all logging is to have a single Handler where the emit()
    method does nothing. Or you can set the level above CRITICAL.

    $ python
    Python 2.5.1 (r251:54869, Apr 18 2007, 22:08:04)
    >>> import logging
    >>> logging.warn('foo')

    WARNING:root:foo
    >>> logger = logging.getLogger()
    >>> logger.handlers

    [<logging.StreamHandler instance at 0xb43788>]

    $ python
    Python 2.5.1 (r251:54869, Apr 18 2007, 22:08:04)
    >>> import logging
    >>> logger = logging.getLogger()
    >>> logger.handlers

    []
    >>> logging.basicConfig()
    >>> logger.handlers

    [<logging.StreamHandler instance at 0xb43788>]
    >>> logger.handlers = []
    >>> class NullHandler(logging.Handler):

    .... def emit(self, record):
    .... pass
    >>> logger.addHandler(NullHandler())
    >>> logging.warn('foo')
    >>>

    > P.S. I tried researching this further by myself, but the logging
    > module doesn't come with source (apparently it's written in C?) and I
    > don't have the time to find and download the source to my laptop.

    No it's all Python. Look in c:\Python25\Lib\logging\ .

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    Robert Kern, Jul 8, 2008

  3. samwyse

    Robert Kern Guest

    Rob Wolfe wrote:
    > samwyse <> writes:

    >> The only way that I can see for all three statements to be consistent
    >> is that the root logger starts with an empty list of handlers, and
    >> doesn't instantiate a default handler until either
    >> logging.basicConfig() is called,

    > That is correct.
    >
    >> or the first time that a message is
    >> logged.

    > That is not correct. The list of handlers is empty until `basicConfig`
    > or explicit `addHandler` is called.
    >
    >> This would also seem to imply that there's no way to use an
    >> empty handler list (say, if you want to suppress all logging), because
    >> the root handler will instantiate a handler for you. Is this correct?

    > No. Consider this:

    > No handlers could be found for logger "root"

    > Note only one warning message.

    Ah, right. It is the module-level functions logging.warn(), etc. that invoke
    basicConfig() if no handler is present.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    Robert Kern, Jul 8, 2008
  4. samwyse

    samwyse Guest

    On Jul 8, 3:01 pm, Rob Wolfe <> wrote:
    > samwyse <> writes:

    > > P.S.  I tried researching this further by myself, but the logging
    > > module doesn't come with source (apparently it's written in C?) and I
    > > don't have the time to find and download the source to my laptop.

    > Hmmm... that's strange. It is a pure Python package.
    >
    > $ ls /usr/lib/python2.5/logging/
    > config.py  config.pyc  handlers.py  handlers.pyc  __init__.py  __init__.pyc
    >
    > HTH,
    > Rob

    Oops, my bad. I was using IDLE and tried the "Open Module..." command
    on logging, not logging.something.

    samwyse, Jul 9, 2008