Logging when developing Web apps under NetBeans

Kenneth P. Turvey

I don't think NetBeans is the problem, but I thought I should include it.

I have some code that uses the Java logging system to print out some
tracing information.

logger.finest("This is some tracing info");

So I want to see what is coming out.

I thought that NetBeans would print it in the output window, but it
doesn't. That would be ideal.

So I want to look at it in a file that is created.

I went to the $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib directory and edited the
logging.properties file, adding:

com.squeakydolphin.level = ALL

Thinking this would work, but it doesn't. There is no file created in my
home directory.

So then I went to the web and found that TomCat (which is the servlet
container used by NetBeans for development) doesn't use the standard Java
properties file to determine where logging goes. So I added the following
to the tomcat logging.properties file:

com.squeakydolphin.level = ALL

No logs are generated in the logs directory under tomcat and there is
nothing in my home directory.

Does anyone know how I turn this stuff on?

Thanks.

Guest

Kenneth said:
[...]

I think you need to study java.util.logging and log4j a bit.

For java.util.logging try:

xxxx.level = FINE
handlers = java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler,
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = INFO
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter =
java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter

What xxxx should be depends on your:

Logger logger = Logger.getLogger("xxxx");

code.

Log4j is similar but still different.

But try get java.util.logging working first.

Arne

Mark Space

Kenneth said:
I don't think NetBeans is the problem, but I thought I should include it.

I have some code that uses the Java logging system to print out some
tracing information.

logger.finest("This is some tracing info");

So I want to see what is coming out.

I thought that NetBeans would print it in the output window, but it
doesn't. That would be ideal.

So I want to look at it in a file that is created.

I went to the $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib directory and edited the
logging.properties file, adding:

com.squeakydolphin.level = ALL

I think this only works for classes, not packages.

Set the default level for a whole application with
..level = ALL

Also, you won't get a file output by default, unless you turn that on too:
java.util.logging.FileHandler.level = ALL
java.util.logging.FileHandler.pattern = $h/MyLog.log
java.util.logging.FileHandler.limit = 25000
java.util.logging.FileHandler.count = 4
java.util.logging.FileHandler.formatter = java.util.logging.XMLFormatter

or there abouts.

For a quick test, you might also want to install a console handler:
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = ALL

If you don't want mess with the (global) logging properties, you can set
a specific file on the command line and set your properties on a per
project basis.

java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=myfile.properties