Logging with the Entity Library 3.1

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by todd.c, Jul 6, 2009.

  1. todd.c

    todd.c Guest

    I am attempting to use the entLib3.1 logging functionality and have
    installed it and got it *mostly* working.
    (This is on windows server 2003 with SP2, and .Net 2.0)

    More specifically I would like to configure a rolling text file listener,
    and have used the Enterprise Library Configuration tool to make the required
    configuration changes. This all seemed nicely straight forward, but it
    doesn't do what I think it should, and I'm at a loss for how to proceed.

    I would like for the file to roll over every day, so I made my selections
    and the configuration resulted in this:
    <add
    fileName="c:\errorLogs\someApp.log"
    rollSizeKB="5000"
    timeStampPattern="yyyyMMddhh"
    rollFileExistsBehavior="Increment"
    rollInterval="Day"
    formatter="Text Formatter"
    header="----------/"
    footer="----------\"
    type=""
    traceOutputOptions="None"

    listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.RollingFlatFileTraceListenerData,
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=3.1.0.0,
    Culture=neutral"
    name="customRoller" />
    </listeners>

    The file shows up, and logs whatever I send to it - but it does not include
    the date and does not create a new file for each day as expected.

    Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

    todd.c, Jul 6, 2009