Login attempt not successful after deploy???

VB Programmer

ASP.NET 2.0 site...

On my dev maching I can run my login page with no problem. After I sign in
it redirects to the proper secured page.

I deployed the site, with the same database. I can't loging using the EXACT
SAME login. "Your login attempt was not successful. Please try again."

The ASPNETDB.MDF should be the exact same one.

Any ideas? Thanks...

DKode

ok,

first, wrap your login code in a try block and then print out the
exception details. This will help to show you what error is occuring,
it seems the "login attempt was not successful" is a generic message
that you may have put in.

second, verify the asp.net process identity has access to your server
where the logins are held (i am assuming sql server since it is an mdf
file) so if your aspnet process is running as the local user on the
webserver, this user will not have access to your sql server. If you
are connecting to the sql server using integrated security, then this
will cause a problem. you can always create a user in SQL server, and
only allow access to that one database, then change your connection
string in your app, to connect to sql as that user

While you were running it on your machine, you were probably running as
a network user which has access to the sql server.

if you need more help, please post the full exception details as to why
the error occured, that will help alot.

dkode

Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I had the same problem... You just have to check out your permissions.

Try this:

1. In Windows Explorer, right-click on your App_Data folder (I'm supposing you're using MDF files in App_Data folder) and go to Properties>Security tab. (If you're using WXPPro and can't see this one, just go Tools > Folder Options > View tab and disable "Simple Sharing" option - the last one. This option is not available in WXPHome)

2. Add user **YOURMACHINENAME**\ASPNET.

3. Grant to this user the Modify/Write permission.

4. Apply to all subsequent files in folder.

* Maybe you must need to check also the ASPNET user hasn't denied the write permission.

This worked fine for me, hope this helps.