Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by David Thielen, Jul 18, 2006.

  1. Hi;

    I just built a Windows 2003 server, installed IIS and Sql Server, ran
    "aspnet_regis -i" and "aspnet_regsql.exe -S localhost -E -A all -d
    WindwardPortalMembership", copied my ASP.NET app over, in IIS properties
    clicked the Create button to mark it as an application.

    The login page comes up (using Membership with a db on Sql Server) and then
    I get the following. Any ideas why?

    --
    thanks - dave
    david_at_windward_dot_net

    Server Error in '/portal' Application

    Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

    Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user
    'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
    SERVICE'.]
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException
    exception, Boolean breakConnection) +735203

    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject
    stateObj) +188
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand
    cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet
    bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +1838
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean
    enlistOK) +33

    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection
    owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword,
    Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628

    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity
    identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String
    newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +170

    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
    options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
    owningConnection) +359

    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection
    owningObject) +424
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection
    owningObject) +66
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection
    owningObject) +496
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection) +82
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
    outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
    System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(HttpContext context,
    Boolean revertImpersonate) +84
    System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConnection(String
    connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +197
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.GetPasswordWithFormat(String
    username, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Int32& status, String&
    password, Int32& passwordFormat, String& passwordSalt, Int32&
    failedPasswordAttemptCount, Int32& failedPasswordAnswerAttemptCount, Boolean&
    isApproved, DateTime& lastLoginDate, DateTime& lastActivityDate) +1121
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username,
    String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean
    failIfNotApproved, String& salt, Int32& passwordFormat) +105
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username,
    String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean
    failIfNotApproved) +42
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username,
    String password) +83
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs e)
    +160
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +105
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e)
    +99
    System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    +163

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
    includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50727.42
    David Thielen, Jul 18, 2006

  2. David Thielen

    Winista Guest

    Do you use SQL auth or Windows auth for your SQL connection?
    Your ASP.Net is running under Netowkr Service user account and your SQL
    server does provider permissions for this user account to connect.

    Winista, Jul 18, 2006

  3. David Thielen

    Winista, Jul 18, 2006
  4. Hi Dave,

    Regarding on the "Login failed for user...." problem you met, I think it is
    a typical database access permission issue. As for your ASP.NET 2.0 web
    application, are you used to developing it through VS 2005 Test
    webserver(file system web project) on the development machine? And are you
    using windows authentication to connect the sqlserver database(for your
    membership provider)?

    If the above is the case, it is an expected behavior. Because when you
    developing through vs 2005 test webserver, the ASP.NET application(also the
    test server) is running under your logon user account(which is usually a
    powerful account). And when asp.net application use this account to connect
    database, you won't encounter any permission issue. However, after you
    deploy it to the windows 2003 server/IIS6, since the ASP.NET application's
    process identity become the IIS application pool's identity and this
    identity by default is the "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" account(which is
    not expected to have any permission in the sqlserver database), then when
    your application change to use this account to access the SQL Server
    membership database, you will get the "login failed ....." error.

    Please have a look and verify the above things. If this is the cause of
    your problem, you can consider granting the sufficient permission in the
    sqlserver database server for the "Network service" account.

    Hope this helps.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    where an initial

    response from the community or a Microsoft Support Engineer within 1
    business day is

    acceptable. Please note that each follow up response may take approximately
    2 business days

    as the support professional working with you may need further investigation
    to reach the

    that require

    urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex project analysis
    and dump analysis

    issues. Issues of this nature are best handled working with a dedicated
    Microsoft Support

    Engineer by contacting Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jul 18, 2006
  5. give NETWORK SERVICE access to the DB

    a) create a login
    b) assign some roles to the login, e.g. membership_basic or whatever suits
    your needs.

    Dominick Baier, Jul 18, 2006