login failed for user

Middletree

I'm not sure you answered this question: What happens when you use those
credentials to connect to the database with SQL Server Management Studio?

Same error.

Middletree

The message was exactly the same, but changed "asp" to "joe" Something like

"Connection failed. User 'joe' not part of a trusted SQL connection".

I'm going from memory, but that was very close.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I un-checked "enforce password
policy", because it usually won't let you do what I'm doing (create a user
named joe with password of joe). When I unchecked that, the other
checkboxes are grayed out.

Dave Anderson

Middletree said:
The message was exactly the same, but changed "asp" to "joe"
Something like
"Connection failed. User 'joe' not part of a trusted SQL connection".

You can try forcing TCP/IP by adding this to the connection string:

Network Library=DBMSSOCN;

If that fails, open the SQL Server Log and verify that the login was
rejected by the server:

- Open SQL Server Management Studio
- Connect to your server
- Expand [SQL Server Agent]
- Expand [Error Logs]
- Open one of the logs

In the left pane, uncheck [SQL Agent] and check [SQL Server]. If you cannot
locate the login failure, the problem is not at the SQL Server, but at the
client. This all, of course, depends on your login auditing:

- Open SQL Server Management Studio
- Connect to your server
- Examine properties on your server instance

Under [Security], [Login Auditing] must log failures.

Dave Anderson

Middletree said:
I'll try that tonight.

I'm interested to hear how it turns out. I should reiterate that the most
likely cause of the "not associated with a trusted connection" error is that
the server is not configured for mixed mode (Windows AND SQL Server
authentication).

Also, if DBMSSOCN does not work, try DBNMPNTW for named pipes.

Middletree

likely cause of the "not associated with a trusted connection" error is
that the server is not configured for mixed mode (Windows AND SQL Server
authentication).

Oh, I thought I ruled that out. Sorry if I didn't make it clear. It's
definitely in mixed mode.

Middletree

Well, this is a kick in the pants. I went to try your latest suggestions.
Before bringing up SQL Server, I chose to open the browser and point to the
site, which would, of course, throw an error. However, the dang thing
worked! The site came right up, and I was able to do some things which I
know hit the database, such as logging in with the name and password I set
up.

I didn't make any recent changes since last time. However, I did perform a
rare reboot last night. We had thunderstorms, and I chose to power off and
unplug the machine. So I guess those changes you had me make earlier did the
trick, but a reboot, or at least a restart of one of the SQL Server
services, was necessary for those changes to take effect.

At any rate, thanks for your help!

Dave Anderson

Middletree said:
Well, this is a kick in the pants. I went to try your latest
suggestions. Before bringing up SQL Server, I chose to open the
browser and point to the site, which would, of course, throw an
error. However, the dang thing worked! The site came right up, and
I was able to do some things which I know hit the database, such as
logging in with the name and password I set up.

I didn't make any recent changes since last time. However, I did
perform a rare reboot last night. We had thunderstorms, and I chose
to power off and unplug the machine. So I guess those changes you had
me make earlier did the trick, but a reboot, or at least a restart of
one of the SQL Server services, was necessary for those changes to
take effect.

Perhaps you blew through the dialog box:

"In the SQL Server Management Studio dialog box, click OK,
to acknowledge the need to restart SQL Server."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188670.aspx

Middletree

I guess I did, but that's only to change the method of authentication, and
it was mixed to begin with.

Oh well. All's well that ends well.

thanks