Login needed-access restricted pages

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Oli Filth, Jan 29, 2005.

  1. Oli Filth

    Oli Filth Guest

    ....D. wrote:
    > Can someone explain to me or at le3ast point me the right place to look?
    > Keep in mind though HTML standard stuff I can do, this is all foreign to
    > me.
    >
    > I want to have a login page that refers to a list of valid IDs (or however
    > it is handled) to allow access to a couple of web pages that would be
    > viewable to only a successful login.
    >
    > How is all of this handled? Would I manually have to put the user's ID or
    > email address into a list (probably best in this case) or could the
    > process be automated too, like craigslist does in sending you an email &
    > you have to click on the link to validate yourself?
    >
    > Yea I know I am getting into some heavier stuff here, but I've got to
    > learn this.

    You're right, this is beyond the scope of HTML. You're basically asking
    about something which requires server-side processing. Depending on what
    your server provides, you could do this in ASP, PHP, Perl, or a few
    other alternatives. For simple things like validating against a list of
    users, any of these languages would be very easy to pick up assuming you
    have some competence with programming languages in general.

    e.g. http://www.php.net/manual/en/tutorial.php for a simple PHP tutorial.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Oli Filth

    ...D. Guest

    Can someone explain to me or at le3ast point me the right place to look?
    Keep in mind though HTML standard stuff I can do, this is all foreign to
    me.

    I want to have a login page that refers to a list of valid IDs (or however
    it is handled) to allow access to a couple of web pages that would be
    viewable to only a successful login.

    How is all of this handled? Would I manually have to put the user's ID or
    email address into a list (probably best in this case) or could the
    process be automated too, like craigslist does in sending you an email &
    you have to click on the link to validate yourself?

    Yea I know I am getting into some heavier stuff here, but I've got to
    learn this.

    Here is a snipit of code I grabbed from a page that has a login. The part
    I have excerpted isn't that long. Probably draws from a list manually
    inputted into by someone. I don't understand it, so I can't even
    copy-paste. If you have some time, could explain please - how does it
    work? Thanks in advance,.
    <!--start login table-->
    <option value='x'>Select Your Name
    <option value='VIP User|39687|MPQHSEGX'>VIP User
    </select>
    size=10 maxlength=8 name=pass>
    onclick="check(this.form)">
    login.<br><br>If you do not have a user name and password, please us the
    password".</td></form>

    <script language="JavaScript" src="/js/member_login.js">
    </script>

    ...D.

    ...D., Jan 29, 2005