Login not working when using IIS 6.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by shaun.laughton@gmail.com, Nov 18, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi All.

    I am new to ASP.NET 2.0 development, and am writing a small
    application to log time and expenses for projects.

    I have successfully set up Membership, Role and Profile providers
    using the 'SqlProvider's and all appears to be well while I am using
    the built in 'ASP.NET Development Server'. I am also using SQL Server
    2005 Standard Edition - not Express.

    I am able to log in as users and get the 'You are logged is as
    <username>' response displayed in my LoginVierw control. I have even
    created a new webform which returns the GUID of the logged in user.
    This successfully displays a user GUID.

    However, when I use IIS 6.0 I can enter my username and password but I
    am not logged in successfully. **No** error message is generated, and
    I am **not** presented with the 'failed to log in' message or an
    incorrect password message. I am redirected to another page and the
    LoginView control still stays 'Not Logged In'. When I go to my web
    form which returns the logged in user GUID I get an error because the
    control is empty - because the user isn't logged in.

    I have checked the applicationName properties in web.config, and these
    match those in the aspnet_Applications database table. I have also
    tried creating a new user via my application, and the user is created
    correctly as I can see it in the aspnet_Users database table. However
    I cannot log in as this new user as I get the same behaviour as I
    described above.

    I have seen other posts on this, but they all mention getting 'failed
    to log in' messages, but I don't. I have tried everything I can thing
    of and goole for, but am getting nowhere

    Please help!!!!! :eek:)

    TIA

    Shaun

    , Nov 18, 2007

  2. Phil H Guest

    On 18 Nov, 17:52, wrote:
    > Hi All.
    >
    > I am new to ASP.NET 2.0 development, and am writing a small
    > application to log time and expenses for projects.
    >
    > I have successfully set up Membership, Role and Profile providers
    > using the 'SqlProvider's and all appears to be well while I am using
    > the built in 'ASP.NET Development Server'. I am also using SQL Server
    > 2005 Standard Edition - not Express.
    >
    > I am able to log in as users and get the 'You are logged is as
    > <username>' response displayed in my LoginVierw control. I have even
    > created a new webform which returns the GUID of the logged in user.
    > This successfully displays a user GUID.
    >
    > However, when I use IIS 6.0 I can enter my username and password but I
    > am not logged in successfully. **No** error message is generated, and
    > I am **not** presented with the 'failed to log in' message or an
    > incorrect password message. I am redirected to another page and the
    > LoginView control still stays 'Not Logged In'. When I go to my web
    > form which returns the logged in user GUID I get an error because the
    > control is empty - because the user isn't logged in.
    >
    > I have checked the applicationName properties in web.config, and these
    > match those in the aspnet_Applications database table. I have also
    > tried creating a new user via my application, and the user is created
    > correctly as I can see it in the aspnet_Users database table. However
    > I cannot log in as this new user as I get the same behaviour as I
    > described above.
    >
    > I have seen other posts on this, but they all mention getting 'failed
    > to log in' messages, but I don't. I have tried everything I can thing
    > of and goole for, but am getting nowhere
    >
    > Please help!!!!! :eek:)
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Shaun

    Hello Shaun

    It sounds like a typical setup and deployment problem on the target
    server. You mention IIS 6.0 but does the host server have FrameWork 2
    installed? Also check that the web site/application folder are
    configured to use ASP.NET 2.x - run IIS manager, get the web site
    properties dialog up and look at the ASP.NET tab

    HTH

    Phil H, Nov 18, 2007

    Hi Phil.

    Thanks for the prompt response.

    I currently have W2k3 Server installed on my workstation along with
    SQL Server 2005. It has .NET Framework 2.0 installed and am using
    Visual Web Developer 2005. So essentially I am doing everything on
    the same box.

    I have my default website set up with a Virtual directory below that.
    The Virtual Directory point directly to my development source. Both
    the Default website have the ASP.NET version set to 2.0.50727.

    If you have any more ideas as to what might be casuiong this I would
    appreciate it. In the meantime, I'm going to set up a Virtual Machine
    and install W2K3 and SQL Server 2005 on that and see what happens.

    Thanks

    Shaun

    On 18 Nov, 18:46, Phil H <> wrote:
    > On 18 Nov, 17:52, wrote:
    >

    > > Hi All.

    > > I am new to ASP.NET 2.0 development, and am writing a small
    > > application to log time and expenses for projects.

    > > I have successfully set up Membership, Role and Profile providers
    > > using the 'SqlProvider's and all appears to be well while I am using
    > > the built in 'ASP.NET Development Server'. I am also using SQL Server
    > > 2005 Standard Edition - not Express.

    > > I am able to log in as users and get the 'You are logged is as
    > > <username>' response displayed in my LoginVierw control. I have even
    > > created a new webform which returns the GUID of the logged in user.
    > > This successfully displays a user GUID.

    > > However, when I use IIS 6.0 I can enter my username and password but I
    > > am not logged in successfully. **No** error message is generated, and
    > > I am **not** presented with the 'failed to log in' message or an
    > > incorrect password message. I am redirected to another page and the
    > > LoginView control still stays 'Not Logged In'. When I go to my web
    > > form which returns the logged in user GUID I get an error because the
    > > control is empty - because the user isn't logged in.

    > > I have checked the applicationName properties in web.config, and these
    > > match those in the aspnet_Applications database table. I have also
    > > tried creating a new user via my application, and the user is created
    > > correctly as I can see it in the aspnet_Users database table. However
    > > I cannot log in as this new user as I get the same behaviour as I
    > > described above.

    > > I have seen other posts on this, but they all mention getting 'failed
    > > to log in' messages, but I don't. I have tried everything I can thing
    > > of and goole for, but am getting nowhere

    > > Please help!!!!! :eek:)

    > > TIA

    Hi

    > > Shaun

    > Hello Shaun
    >
    > It sounds like a typical setup and deployment problem on the target
    > server. You mention IIS 6.0 but does the host server have FrameWork 2
    > installed? Also check that the web site/application folder are
    > configured to use ASP.NET 2.x - run IIS manager, get the web site
    > properties dialog up and look at the ASP.NET tab
    >
    > HTH- Hide quoted text -

    , Nov 18, 2007