    --
    Thanks
    Morris
    Morris Neuman, Oct 28, 2008

  2. Hi Morris,

    1) where is this timeout parameter that I can set?

    If you're using forms authentication you can set the timeout in the
    web.config:
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/08/430011.aspx

    2) when the system logs me out due to a timeout, the web address in the
    address bar ponts to the last page used. Can this be changed to the login
    page? If I logout correctly then the system points back to the login
    page's address. How do I change the page address when the system logs out
    due to a timeout?

    It cannot automatically be done. I suggest you put an ASP.NET AJAX Timer
    control on the page and set it's Interval the same as the forms timeout.
    Say the forms timeout is set as 1, which means one minute, you can use
    following code on the page:
    <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">
    </asp:ScriptManager>

    <asp:Timer ID="Timer1" runat="server" Enabled="true"
    Interval="60000">
    </asp:Timer>

    Please have a try and let me know if it's what you need.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    .

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

    --------------------

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Oct 29, 2008

  3. Hi Allen,

    Does the ASP.Net AJAX timer control have to be included on all my pages?

    Do I add the code you provided as part of the Content section of the page?
    --
    Thanks
    Morris

    Morris Neuman, Oct 29, 2008
  4. Hi Morris,

    I think the Timer control need to be added to all the content page that you
    want to auto redirect from to the Login page after forms timeout. A simple
    way to do this is to create a AutoRefreshPage class deriving from the Page
    and let the content pages derive from the AutoRefreshPage class. In the
    AutoRefreshPage class we can add the Timer control to the page in the
    Page_Init event handler. Thus all the descendant pages can have the Timer
    control.

    If you have further questions please feel free to ask.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    --------------------
    | From: =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycmlzIE5ldW1hbg==?= <>
    | Subject: RE: Login TimeOut
    | Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:12:18 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    |
    | Hi Allen,
    |
    | Does the ASP.Net AJAX timer control have to be included on all my pages?
    |
    | Do I add the code you provided as part of the Content section of the page?
    | --
    | Thanks
    | Morris
    |

    | "Allen Chen [MSFT]" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Morris,
    | >
    | > 1) where is this timeout parameter that I can set?
    | >
    | > If you're using forms authentication you can set the timeout in the
    | > web.config:
    | > http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/08/430011.aspx
    | >
    | > 2) when the system logs me out due to a timeout, the web address in the
    | > address bar ponts to the last page used. Can this be changed to the
    login
    | > page? If I logout correctly then the system points back to the login
    | > page's address. How do I change the page address when the system logs
    out
    | > due to a timeout?
    | >
    | > It cannot automatically be done. I suggest you put an ASP.NET AJAX
    Timer
    | > control on the page and set it's Interval the same as the forms
    timeout.
    | > Say the forms timeout is set as 1, which means one minute, you can use
    | > following code on the page:
    | > <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">
    | > </asp:ScriptManager>
    | >
    | > <asp:Timer ID="Timer1" runat="server" Enabled="true"
    | > Interval="60000">
    | > </asp:Timer>
    | >
    | > Please have a try and let me know if it's what you need.
    | >
    | > Regards,
    | > Allen Chen
    | > Microsoft Online Support
    | >
    | > Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments
    and
    | > suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you.
    Please
    | > feel free to let my manager know what you think of the level of service
    | > provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager at:
    | > .

    | > Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent
    issues
    | > where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
    | > Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each
    follow
    | > up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
    | > professional working with you may need further investigation to reach
    the
    | > most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for
    situations
    | > that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
    | > project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are
    best
    | > handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by
    contacting
    | > Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.
    | > ==================================================
    rights.

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycmlzIE5ldW1hbg==?= <>
    | > | Subject: Login TimeOut
    | > | Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:47:00 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    | > |
    | > | Hi,
    | > |
    | > | When I am logged in for a while without activity, the system
    | > automatically
    | > | logs me out. Two questions:
    | > |
    | > | 1) where is this timeout parameter that I can set?
    | > |
    | > | 2) when the system logs me out due to a timeout, the web address in
    the
    | > | address bar ponts to the last page used. Can this be changed to the
    | > login
    | > | page? If I logout correctly then the system points back to the login
    | > page's
    | > | address. How do I change the page address when the system logs out
    due
    | > to a
    | > | timeout?
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Thanks
    | > | Morris
    | > |

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Oct 30, 2008
  5. Hello Morris,

    Did you make any progress on this issue?

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    --------------------
> [...]
    | >
    | > Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent
    issues
    | > where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
    | > Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each
    follow
    | > up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
    | > professional working with you may need further investigation to reach
    the
    | > most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for
    situations
    | > that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
    | > project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are
    best
    | > handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by
    contacting
    | > Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at

    | > |
    | > | When I am logged in for a while without activity, the system
    | > automatically
    | > | logs me out. Two questions:
    | > |
    | > | 1) where is this timeout parameter that I can set?
    | > |
    | > | 2) when the system logs me out due to a timeout, the web address in
    the
    | > | address bar ponts to the last page used. Can this be changed to the
    | > login
    | > | page? If I logout correctly then the system points back to the login
    | > page's
    | > | address. How do I change the page address when the system logs out
    due
    | > to a
    | > | timeout?
    | > |