LoginCtl Remember Me Checkbox -> How to keep it checked and remember user?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Frank Miverk, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. Frank Miverk

    Frank Miverk Guest

    Hi,

    I am not understanding how the Remember Me checkbox is supposed to work
    here. I have a LoginCtrl (asp.net 2.0, framework 2.0) and all I want to do
    is remember the user the next time if they previously checked the Remember
    Me checkbox.

    By default, on subsequent visits the Remember Me checkbox does not stay
    checked. I understand that checking this checkbox, allows me to create a
    cookie using FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie( LoginCtl.UserName,
    LoginCtl.RememberMeSet)

    And after logging in with the RememberMe checkbox set, and opening a new
    browser window to visit a page that would otherwise require a login, works
    fine.

    However, if the user opens a browser and goes to the login page, the
    Remember Me feature doesn't appear to populate the UserName and Password
    fields? And the Remember Me checkbox is not checked?

    SO, I attempted to populate them myself but found that you cannot set the
    LoginCtl.Password because it is READ ONLY.

    The ultimate goal here is to have the user come to the login page, with all
    fields filled out (if they previously checked Remember Me), and have the
    user just click the Login button.

    Thanks for any tips on how to go about remembering logins.

    Frank

    Frank Miverk, Apr 18, 2007