LoginCtl Remember Me Checkbox -> How to keep it checked and remember user?

Frank Miverk

Hi,

I am not understanding how the Remember Me checkbox is supposed to work
here. I have a LoginCtrl (asp.net 2.0, framework 2.0) and all I want to do
is remember the user the next time if they previously checked the Remember
Me checkbox.

By default, on subsequent visits the Remember Me checkbox does not stay
checked. I understand that checking this checkbox, allows me to create a
cookie using FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie( LoginCtl.UserName,
LoginCtl.RememberMeSet)

And after logging in with the RememberMe checkbox set, and opening a new
browser window to visit a page that would otherwise require a login, works
fine.

However, if the user opens a browser and goes to the login page, the
Remember Me feature doesn't appear to populate the UserName and Password
fields? And the Remember Me checkbox is not checked?

SO, I attempted to populate them myself but found that you cannot set the
LoginCtl.Password because it is READ ONLY.

The ultimate goal here is to have the user come to the login page, with all
fields filled out (if they previously checked Remember Me), and have the
user just click the Login button.

Thanks for any tips on how to go about remembering logins.

Frank