Logo, colours in web context

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nik Coughin, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I am wanting to get some feedback on this logo:
    http://nrkn.com/temp/hexColours.png

    I personally prefer the leftmost version on the bottom row, but I have been
    staring at it for so long now that I can't look at it objectively. Viva la
    Usenet!

    I have prepared it in a range of variations using blue and grey. It is
    intended primarily for use in a web environment so a major consideration is
    which of the colour sets would carry through well to other elements on a web
    page (hence x-post to alt.html).

    Any general feedback on the logo itself would also be appreciated. Any
    thoughts on doing it in other colours would be nice too.

    I am also thinking about perhaps adding a subtle drop shadow to each of the
    layers, and/or making each layer slightly transparent, but I think perhaps
    the strength of the logo lies in its clean lines and that this might detract
    from that.

    TIA!

    --
    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
    typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!" - Blair Houghton
    Nik Coughin, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Nik Coughin wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am wanting to get some feedback on this logo:
    > URL
    >
    > I personally prefer the leftmost version on the bottom row, but I have
    > been
    > staring at it for so long now that I can't look at it objectively. Viva
    > la Usenet!
    >
    > I have prepared it in a range of variations using blue and grey. It is
    > intended primarily for use in a web environment so a major consideration
    > is which of the colour sets would carry through well to other elements on
    > a web page (hence x-post to alt.html).
    >
    > Any general feedback on the logo itself would also be appreciated. Any
    > thoughts on doing it in other colours would be nice too.
    >
    > I am also thinking about perhaps adding a subtle drop shadow to each of
    > the layers, and/or making each layer slightly transparent, but I think
    > perhaps the strength of the logo lies in its clean lines and that this
    > might detract from that.
    >
    > TIA!

    Top row, third from the left caught my eyes.

    Roy
    Roy Schestowitz, Jul 7, 2005

  3. Nik Coughin

    graphicjak Guest

    I think the V shows up best on the bottom row of tonal variations. The
    colors suck. Try RGB, just a thought. It might be nicer (but maybe not)
    if the honeycombs on the V and the background lined up and were not
    offset.

    JAK
    graphicjak, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Nik Coughin

    Mitja Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 07:37:00 +0200, Roy Schestowitz
    <> wrote:

    > Nik Coughin wrote:
    >
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I am wanting to get some feedback on this logo:
    >> http://nrkn.com/temp/hexColours.png

    > Top row, third from the left caught my eyes.

    Same here: second and third one in the top row.

    I don't like the colors, they're way too intensive. Try reducing the
    saturation; with that, you will probably find a color scheme that's
    pleasing too look at and at the same time not as dull as the grey tones.
    Mitja, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Nik Coughin

    mbstevens Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am wanting to get some feedback on this logo:
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/hexColours.png
    >
    > I personally prefer the leftmost version on the bottom row, but I have been
    > staring at it for so long now that I can't look at it objectively. Viva la
    > Usenet!
    >
    > I have prepared it in a range of variations using blue and grey. It is
    > intended primarily for use in a web environment so a major consideration is
    > which of the colour sets would carry through well to other elements on a web
    > page (hence x-post to alt.html).
    >
    > Any general feedback on the logo itself would also be appreciated. Any
    > thoughts on doing it in other colours would be nice too.
    >
    > I am also thinking about perhaps adding a subtle drop shadow to each of the
    > layers, and/or making each layer slightly transparent, but I think perhaps
    > the strength of the logo lies in its clean lines and that this might detract
    > from that.
    >
    > TIA!

    Not enough information. Even a tiny touch of a third color on the page,
    like a bright orange letter for instance, will change which one is
    better. The only way to do this kind of thing is to make a mockup with
    all elements on the page and fiddle with the way the whole looks together.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com/
    mbstevens, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Nik Coughin

    SimBrain Guest

    They're all the same

    SimBrain, Jul 9, 2005
  7. Nik Coughin

    SimBrain Guest

    Oh you were asking about the colors. I would use less colors rather then
    more.

    SimBrain, Jul 9, 2005
  8. Nik Coughin

    Jeff Thies Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am wanting to get some feedback on this logo:
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/hexColours.png
    >
    > I personally prefer the leftmost version on the bottom row, but I have been
    > staring at it for so long now that I can't look at it objectively. Viva la
    > Usenet!
    >
    > I have prepared it in a range of variations using blue and grey. It is
    > intended primarily for use in a web environment so a major consideration is
    > which of the colour sets would carry through well to other elements on a web
    > page (hence x-post to alt.html).
    >
    > Any general feedback on the logo itself would also be appreciated. Any
    > thoughts on doing it in other colours would be nice too.

    The blues are a bit harsh, the grays too bland.

    What page color do you want this in, white is usually best for text, but
    graphics/image heavy pages can snap with darker colors.

    Try 1,1 either inverted, or with the V just in red. I'd like to see
    it in a strong red, a total black and on white.

    > I am also thinking about perhaps adding a subtle drop shadow to each of the
    > layers, and/or making each layer slightly transparent,

    I thought that myself before I complety read your post (the slight
    transparency).

    but I think perhaps
    > the strength of the logo lies in its clean lines and that this might detract
    > from that.

    I haven't really made any logos for some time (just some quickies) so
    my judgement is not best!

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Jul 16, 2005