logo design

Xah Lee

recently on #emacs irc of freenode, there's a discussion of a logo of
planet emacsen site.

I made some comments about such logo:

http://paste.lisp.org/display/28901

I have brought this topic here here before... that i think LISP really
need to have a logo. I'm aware of “made with alien technology lispâ€
web-badge, but that is a lisp-peddling badge, not a lisp logo proper.

Python, did not really have a logo. I made a plaint more than once in
different periods of times to comp.lang.python. Them tech geeking
morons and assholes, as expected, made irrelevant and incoherent cries.
But look now, Python now has a logo inargurated around 2005, and is a
well-designed one.

For examples (most top quality) logos, see:
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html
(the lambda logo tour)

http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/freebooks.html
(the unix pestilence)

http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/complang.html
(computer language logos)

Again: the primary purpose of this message, is to beseach that the
power-that-be of lispers, seriously think about getting themselves a
official logo. Thanks.

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/

Paul McGuire

Again: the primary purpose of this message, is to beseach that the
power-that-be of lispers, seriously think about getting themselves a
official logo. Thanks.

Does the "power-that-be of lispers" spend much time on c.l.py? Even though
Python is mentioned in passing in this post, it really doesn't need to be
cross-posted here.

-- Paul

John Bokma

Paul McGuire said:
Does the "power-that-be of lispers" spend much time on c.l.py? Even
though Python is mentioned in passing in this post, it really doesn't
need to be cross-posted here.

Xah Lee is a well-known spammer, almost all his messages contain at least
one link to his site in the body.

Somehow this time he limited his post to 3 groups instead of the usual 5.
Maybe talking with the right people does work. It did with Dreamhost. And
I am sure his current hosting provider is listening ;-)

Gerard Flanagan

John said:
Xah Lee is a well-known spammer, almost all his messages contain at least
one link to his site in the body.

Somehow this time he limited his post to 3 groups instead of the usual 5.
Maybe talking with the right people does work. It did with Dreamhost. And
I am sure his current hosting provider is listening ;-)

Charybdis...

Xah Lee

No personal offense intended, but human animal's history is what? 3000
years at least in recorded history? And, all you can think of is what,
the view points of a fraction of your personal life span?

Have you looked into, the history of fashions, icons, their roles and
social significance, before you embarked and embraced on your above-it
attitude about why should or should not your pet language lisp have a
logo?

As per more detailed reasons on the meaning of logos, it's social
significance, its role in modern society, the defining characteristics
of logo design, and why LISP needs a logo, i'll post a reply to this
thread wthin a month.

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/

alex23

Xah said:
No personal offense intended, but human animal's history is what? 3000
years at least in recorded history? And, all you can think of is what,
the view points of a fraction of your personal life span?

Thank god evolution spat you out to lead us all to the light, huh?

No personal offense intended, but you're a boring, elitist prick.

- alex23

Steve Holden

alex23 said:
Thank god evolution spat you out to lead us all to the light, huh?

No personal offense intended, but you're a boring, elitist prick.

- alex23
This conversation has clearly descended to the level where it needs to
be taken to email. Nobody wants to read this.

regards
Steve

Ken Tilton

alex23 said:
Thank god evolution spat you out to lead us all to the light, huh?

No personal offense intended, but you're a boring, elitist prick.

Actually, no, Xah is pretty cool, give him a chance.

hth, kt

Geoffrey Summerhayes

Ken said:
Actually, no, Xah is pretty cool, give him a chance.

Yeah, this still seems kind of silly though. Implementations,
companies and user groups have logos, not languages.

Picture this: Hey, I'm switching to COBOL because its new
logo looks great on t-shirts and mugs.

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Lars_Rune_N=F8stdal?=

Picture this: Hey, I'm switching to COBOL because its new
logo looks great on t-shirts and mugs.

Maybe the extra funding would improve "COBOL" and its libraries faster by
letting a developer work more often on it.

I'm not totally serious; but maybe some way of donating money to further
improvement of SBCL/Slime/something-cool-and-universally-needed-here would
be OK or something.

...I need a new t-shirt anyways; the Ubuntu t-shirt has gone missing.. :(

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Lars_Rune_N=F8stdal?=

Maybe the extra funding would improve "COBOL" and its libraries faster by
letting a developer work more often on it.

(and you'd switch to "COBOL" later down the road because of this)