logo design

Discussion in 'Python' started by Xah Lee, Oct 29, 2006.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    recently on #emacs irc of freenode, there's a discussion of a logo of
    planet emacsen site.

    I made some comments about such logo:

    http://paste.lisp.org/display/28901

    I have brought this topic here here before... that i think LISP really
    need to have a logo. I'm aware of “made with alien technology lispâ€
    web-badge, but that is a lisp-peddling badge, not a lisp logo proper.

    Python, did not really have a logo. I made a plaint more than once in
    different periods of times to comp.lang.python. Them tech geeking
    morons and assholes, as expected, made irrelevant and incoherent cries.
    But look now, Python now has a logo inargurated around 2005, and is a
    well-designed one.

    For examples (most top quality) logos, see:
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html
    (the lambda logo tour)

    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/freebooks.html
    (the unix pestilence)

    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/complang.html
    (computer language logos)

    Again: the primary purpose of this message, is to beseach that the
    power-that-be of lispers, seriously think about getting themselves a
    official logo. Thanks.

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/
    Xah Lee, Oct 29, 2006

  2. Xah Lee

    Frank Buss Guest

    Frank Buss, Oct 29, 2006

  3. Xah Lee

    Paul McGuire Guest

    Re: logo design - BZZZT! OT!

    "Xah Lee" <> wrote in message
    Again: the primary purpose of this message, is to beseach that the
    power-that-be of lispers, seriously think about getting themselves a
    official logo. Thanks.

    Does the "power-that-be of lispers" spend much time on c.l.py? Even though
    Python is mentioned in passing in this post, it really doesn't need to be
    cross-posted here.

    -- Paul
    Paul McGuire, Oct 29, 2006
  4. Xah Lee

    John Bokma Guest

    Re: logo design - BZZZT! OT!

    "Paul McGuire" <._bogus_.com> wrote:

    > Does the "power-that-be of lispers" spend much time on c.l.py? Even
    > though Python is mentioned in passing in this post, it really doesn't
    > need to be cross-posted here.

    Xah Lee is a well-known spammer, almost all his messages contain at least
    one link to his site in the body.

    Somehow this time he limited his post to 3 groups instead of the usual 5.
    Maybe talking with the right people does work. It did with Dreamhost. And
    I am sure his current hosting provider is listening ;-)

    --
    John MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/
    personal page: http://johnbokma.com/
    John Bokma, Oct 29, 2006
  5. Re: logo design - BZZZT! OT!

    John Bokma wrote:
    > Xah Lee is a well-known spammer, almost all his messages contain at least
    > one link to his site in the body.
    >
    > Somehow this time he limited his post to 3 groups instead of the usual 5.
    > Maybe talking with the right people does work. It did with Dreamhost. And
    > I am sure his current hosting provider is listening ;-)

    Charybdis...
    Gerard Flanagan, Oct 29, 2006
  6. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    No personal offense intended, but human animal's history is what? 3000
    years at least in recorded history? And, all you can think of is what,
    the view points of a fraction of your personal life span?

    Have you looked into, the history of fashions, icons, their roles and
    social significance, before you embarked and embraced on your above-it
    attitude about why should or should not your pet language lisp have a
    logo?

    As per more detailed reasons on the meaning of logos, it's social
    significance, its role in modern society, the defining characteristics
    of logo design, and why LISP needs a logo, i'll post a reply to this
    thread wthin a month.

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    Xah Lee, Nov 1, 2006
  7. Xah Lee

    alex23 Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > No personal offense intended, but human animal's history is what? 3000
    > years at least in recorded history? And, all you can think of is what,
    > the view points of a fraction of your personal life span?

    Thank god evolution spat you out to lead us all to the light, huh?

    No personal offense intended, but you're a boring, elitist prick.

    - alex23
    alex23, Nov 2, 2006
  8. Xah Lee

    Steve Holden Guest

    alex23 wrote:
    > Xah Lee wrote:
    >
    >>No personal offense intended, but human animal's history is what? 3000
    >>years at least in recorded history? And, all you can think of is what,
    >>the view points of a fraction of your personal life span?

    > Thank god evolution spat you out to lead us all to the light, huh?
    >
    > No personal offense intended, but you're a boring, elitist prick.
    >
    > - alex23

    This conversation has clearly descended to the level where it needs to
    be taken to email. Nobody wants to read this.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Nov 2, 2006
  9. Xah Lee

    Ken Tilton Guest

    alex23 wrote:
    > Xah Lee wrote:
    >
    >>No personal offense intended, but human animal's history is what? 3000
    >>years at least in recorded history? And, all you can think of is what,
    >>the view points of a fraction of your personal life span?

    > Thank god evolution spat you out to lead us all to the light, huh?
    >
    > No personal offense intended, but you're a boring, elitist prick.

    Actually, no, Xah is pretty cool, give him a chance.

    hth, kt

    Ken Tilton, Nov 2, 2006
  10. Ken Tilton wrote:
    > alex23 wrote:
    > > Xah Lee wrote:
    > >
    > >>No personal offense intended, but human animal's history is what? 3000
    > >>years at least in recorded history? And, all you can think of is what,
    > >>the view points of a fraction of your personal life span?

    > > Thank god evolution spat you out to lead us all to the light, huh?
    > >
    > > No personal offense intended, but you're a boring, elitist prick.

    > Actually, no, Xah is pretty cool, give him a chance.

    Yeah, this still seems kind of silly though. Implementations,
    companies and user groups have logos, not languages.

    Picture this: Hey, I'm switching to COBOL because its new
    logo looks great on t-shirts and mugs.

    ----
    Geoff
    Geoffrey Summerhayes, Nov 2, 2006
  11. On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 20:48:12 -0800, Geoffrey Summerhayes wrote:

    > Picture this: Hey, I'm switching to COBOL because its new
    > logo looks great on t-shirts and mugs.

    Maybe the extra funding would improve "COBOL" and its libraries faster by
    letting a developer work more often on it.

    I'm not totally serious; but maybe some way of donating money to further
    improvement of SBCL/Slime/something-cool-and-universally-needed-here would
    be OK or something.

    ...I need a new t-shirt anyways; the Ubuntu t-shirt has gone missing.. :(

    --
    Lars Rune Nøstdal
    http://lars.nostdal.org/
    =?iso-8859-1?q?Lars_Rune_N=F8stdal?=, Nov 2, 2006
  12. On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 06:08:00 +0100, Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 20:48:12 -0800, Geoffrey Summerhayes wrote:
    >
    >> Picture this: Hey, I'm switching to COBOL because its new
    >> logo looks great on t-shirts and mugs.

    > Maybe the extra funding would improve "COBOL" and its libraries faster by
    > letting a developer work more often on it.

    (and you'd switch to "COBOL" later down the road because of this)

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Lars_Rune_N=F8stdal?=, Nov 2, 2006