logo text as image?

chlori

Hi

I want to put a white logo text on a dark background.
The logo text isn't a standard font, so I thought I
would make a gif with transparent edges.

1. Is that the right way to do it? Or is it better to
make a gif with the same color background as the page
background?

2. I couldn't get the edges smooth. But if the gif
wasn't transparent (same dark background as page will
have) then I could get the edges smooth...

Thanks for your help!

chlori

Paul Furman

chlori said:
Hi

I want to put a white logo text on a dark background. The logo text
isn't a standard font, so I thought I would make a gif with transparent
edges.

1. Is that the right way to do it? Or is it better to make a gif with
the same color background as the page background?

2. I couldn't get the edges smooth. But if the gif wasn't transparent
(same dark background as page will have) then I could get the edges
smooth...

You got it right.
Use a matching background.

chris

chlori said:
Hi

I want to put a white logo text on a dark background.
The logo text isn't a standard font, so I thought I
would make a gif with transparent edges.

1. Is that the right way to do it? Or is it better to
make a gif with the same color background as the page
background?

2. I couldn't get the edges smooth. But if the gif
wasn't transparent (same dark background as page will
have) then I could get the edges smooth...

Thanks for your help!

chlori

1. Yes, usually.

2. Uhm you should have a clean edge if you display it in original size. Take
a close look to your edges in Photoshop (or whatever Software you use).
Remember gifs can only hold up to 256 colors. Resizing often introduces some
kind of gradient at the edges due to resizealgorythm that often creates a
"halo" around text with transprent background. You can use nearest neighbor
to prevent that. Or you need to process you image further to have clean
edges.
But if you dont need transparency then dont use it. Like you said make it
simply black. Theres nothing wrong with this way.

chris