logon failure to a remote share with a virtual directory

Guest

I have a virtual directory on IIS 5.0 to a remote share on a Windows 2003
file server. The "connect as" is a domain user account. The share as read
permission for everyone and the NTFS permission is set so the user as access
to the directory. I get the stop sign with the status "logon failure: the
user has not been granted the request type logon"

The local policies on the file server for allow access from the network
contains the everyone group and the same policies on the domain is not set.

I can't find what security setting I need to set for that user. Can you help.

Note: When I put the user in the domain Admins group the virtual directory
work. But I know it is against good security practice.

Thanks

Mark Fitzpatrick

Does the user have Log On Locally rights for the Win 2003 server. I haven't
verified this on Win 2003 Server, but in previous server editions the only
account or group that had log on locally rights were administrators. All
other accounts were not allowed to log onto the server by default to prevent
Joe Schmoe from walking up to the server and logging in with his user
account.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP- FrontPage

Guest

The local users groups has Log on Locally rights and the Domain Users group
is a member of this group.

Guest

I finally understand the problem when I read the description of the Logon
function in a sdk. In order for an application to use a credential of an
another user to acces a remote share that application need to create the
token locally first and then used it to acces the network resource. So the
user need Logon Locally right not on the computer hosting the ressource but
on the computer where the application run.

Thanks Mark