LOGON_USER / NT Security

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Ray at, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Ray at

    Ray at Guest

    Use integrated authentication and make sure your users access the site using
    a domain with no .'s in it, i.e. http://intranet as opposed to
    http://iisserver.yourdomain.com. IE will pass the user's logon credentials
    to the server silently in the intranet zone (no .'s in domain), by default.

    Ray at work

    "Maria" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get the NT login id of a user on a web page without making

    the
    > user type it into a login box. I'm using the LOGON_USER server variable.
    > The problem is, if the web page allows anonymous access, LOGON_USER

    returns
    > nothing. If the page is set to Basic Security, the NT login popup box

    comes
    > up, even though the user is already logged into the network, and HAS

    access
    > to this page. Moreover, if I try this on my PC instead of our webserver,

    it
    > works like I would expect. That is, when set to Basic Security, it does

    NOT

    Maria, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Ray at

    Maria Guest

    I'm not sure what you mean by integrated authentication. When I tried using
    the machine name of the webserver, it still didn't work. The URL looked
    like this: http://servername/folder/file.asp.

    Maria, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Ray at

    Ray at Guest

    I'm writing for Windows 2000/IIS 5:

    IIS manager
    Right click on the site or the directory
    Click properties
    Go to the Directory Security tab
    Click the top Edit button (Anon access/authentication control)
    Set Anonymous access to False
    Set Integrated Windows authentication to True

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Aug 13, 2003