LOL @ College course.

Weyoun the Dancing Bong

Last tuesday we had our first website design lesson.

What was the first thing we learned? Don't use frontpage as it makes bad
HTML. What was the second?

..

--
_______________________________________
/\ \
\_| Legalise today |
| http://www.norml.org |
| |
| | |
| |.| |
|web: http://www. |.| e-mail: weyoun@|
|dancingborg |\./| dancingborg|
|.co.uk |\./| .co.uk|
|. |\./| .|
| \^.\ |\\.//| /.^/ |
| \--.|\ |\\.//| /|.--/ |
| \--.| \ |\\.//| / |.--/ |
| \---.|\ |\./| /|.---/ |
| \--.|\ |\./| /|.--/ |
| \ .\ |.| /. / |
| _ -_^_^_^_- \ \\ // / -_^_^_^_- _ |
| - -/_/_/- ^ ^ | ^ ^ -\_\_\- - |
| __________________________________|__
\_/____________________________________/

Gandalf: Check out my EAGLES!!!
Aragorn: Where the hell did you get Eagles from?
Gandalf: A moth.
Aragorn: Oooohhhh...um...wait...
Gandalf: Don't think. It makes things easier.

http://www.dancingborg.co.uk/bush.mp3 - 18k.

Richard

Weyoun said:
Last tuesday we had our first website design lesson.
What was the first thing we learned? Don't use frontpage as it makes bad
HTML. What was the second?

Of course they did not mention that you would be putting black text on a
black background.
Sounds about right for college.

Weyoun the Dancing Bong

my teacher would not accept that it is in fact <br /> and <hr />. "You don't
know what you're talking about, would you like to teach the class?" I was SO
tempted to say "yes".

Of course they did not mention that you would be putting black text on a
black background.

yes, I had to giggle at that. But then most of the others didn't mind since
they used <font face="Times New Roman" color="red"> or some such.

*cough* <font face="Serif, Times, Times New Roman" color="FF0000">. Now I
know you can change the text colour in the body tag but I never bother with
that, since I rarely change the background colour to something dark.

Sounds about right for college.

meh, I have lesson two today. Images. And (shudders) FRAMES.

WHY FRAMES?!

teach us something useful.

Weyoun the "'What's firebird?' - My Teacher" Dancing Bong.

Hywel Jenkins

We (capcollege.bc.ca COMP121) are doing Java as our
poison^H^H^H^H^H^Hlanguage of choice this term. There's apparently a
section on applets.

It's handy to learn how to use Java as applets, as opposed to full-blown
desk-top applications, I suppose.

Richard

my teacher would not accept that it is in fact <br /> and <hr />. "You
don't know what you're talking about, would you like to teach the class?"
I was SO tempted to say "yes".

I would have.
I took a computer course one time, which taught BASIC as the main business
language no less.
I was in the habit of using the ; after a print statement and she marked it
wrong every time.
I had to practically show her what the difference was.
Another time the guy beside me couldn't understand why his program wasn't
working.
I looked at it with the teacher between us and said you can't do that.
"Who's teaching this class?"
Later, I explained why he couldn't have ..... if A<>B and C<>D then......
He changed it. Didn't say a word to the teacher.
She didn't even know what "Peek" and "Poke" was.
I just love college grads with no practical experience.

Weyoun the Dancing Bong

Later, I explained why he couldn't have ..... if A<>B and C<>D then......

My basic is VERY rough. Now is that supposed to say "If A is not equal to B"
or "If A is less than greater than B"?

10 Print "I ain't done basic in years"
20 Goto 10

Toby A Inkster

Owen said:
We (capcollege.bc.ca COMP121) are doing Java as our
poison^H^H^H^H^H^Hlanguage of choice this term. There's apparently a
section on applets.

Nowt wrong with Java -- it's a highly decent programming language. I wish
we'd got more on it when I was in Uni.

Richard

My basic is VERY rough. Now is that supposed to say "If A is not equal to
B" or "If A is less than greater than B"?
10 Print "I ain't done basic in years"
20 Goto 10

<> is the original "not equal to".
In BASIC, you can not have two <> arguments between if and then.
To get around it, you say, if a<>b then if c<>d then do this.

Kris

Later, I explained why he couldn't have ..... if A<>B and C<>D then......

My basic is VERY rough. Now is that supposed to say "If A is not equal to B"
or "If A is less than greater than B"?

10 Print "I ain't done basic in years"
20 Goto 10[/QUOTE]

You forgot the interactive element:

10 Input "what is your name? " A$
20 Print A$+" ain't done basic in years"
30 Goto 20

Chris Morris

Weyoun the Dancing Bong said:
my teacher would not accept that it is in fact <br /> and <hr />. "You don't

That's because it isn't.

There is currently no benefit in the vast majority of situations to
using XHTML.

Robert Hampton

Richard said:
I would have.
I took a computer course one time, which taught BASIC as the main business
language no less.

Ahhh, fond memories. Our high school's first Computer Science course
was my senior year. BASIC using the TI-99/4a. I'll have to buy one on
eBay for old times sake.

--
Robert Hampton
Genesis POS

Weyoun the Dancing Bong

Chris Morris said:
don't

That's because it isn't.

There is currently no benefit in the vast majority of situations to
using XHTML.

no, but it is the accepted standard by w3c.org I believe. I may believe
wrong. in any case, we were told in the lessons that "under the new rules,
it's all in lower case" so I presume she's on about XHTML. If she is on
about HTML then the statement about casing is wrong :)

--
_______________________________________
/\ \
\_| Legalise today |
| http://www.norml.org |
| |
| | |
| |.| |
|web: http://www. |.| e-mail: weyoun@|
|dancingborg |\./| dancingborg|
|.co.uk |\./| .co.uk|
|. |\./| .|
| \^.\ |\\.//| /.^/ |
| \--.|\ |\\.//| /|.--/ |
| \--.| \ |\\.//| / |.--/ |
| \---.|\ |\./| /|.---/ |
| \--.|\ |\./| /|.--/ |
| \ .\ |.| /. / |
| _ -_^_^_^_- \ \\ // / -_^_^_^_- _ |
| - -/_/_/- ^ ^ | ^ ^ -\_\_\- - |
\_/____________________________________/

Gandalf: Check out my EAGLES!!!
Aragorn: Where the hell did you get Eagles from?
Gandalf: A moth.
Aragorn: Oooohhhh...um...wait...
Gandalf: Don't think. It makes things easier.

http://www.dancingborg.co.uk/bush.mp3 - 18k.

Brian

Weyoun said:
no, but it is the accepted standard by w3c.org I believe.

It is *one* standard of the w3c. HTML is another. And for most people,
HTML offers everything XHTML offers without the headache of figuring
out how to serve it.

Hywel Jenkins

Nowt wrong with Java -- it's a highly decent programming language. I wish
we'd got more on it when I was in Uni.

You just spent most of your time and money on girls and beer, wasting
the rest on education, didn't you?