    London based) to help us push our web app into the future.

    Please to get in touch asap on

    Thanks in advance.

    Henners Henners, Sep 21, 2006

  2. Ok, I'm interested, but I'm not based in London - does that discount me?

    Kev
    Kevin Jackson, Sep 21, 2006

  3. Henners Henners wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We are looking for a UK based ruby on rails developer, (preferably
    > London based) to help us push our web app into the future.
    >
    > Please to get in touch asap on
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Be sure to post this to jobs.rubynow.com (with a fuller description) as
    well.

    Regards,

    Dan
    Daniel Berger, Sep 21, 2006
  4. In message <>, Henners
    Henners <> writes
    >We are looking for a UK based ruby on rails developer, (preferably
    >London based) to help us push our web app into the future.

    Good luck. But why are you creating a startup in the second most
    expensive city (to live, Tokyo being first) in the world? Surely you
    want to keep costs down?

    Stephen
    --
    Stephen Kellett
    Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html
    Stephen Kellett, Sep 21, 2006
  5. Henners Henners

    Reprisal Guest

    When you find yourself sitting around with some smart people and a
    good idea, you try to get moving on it as expediently as possible.
    Generally that means, where ever most of you happen to live at the
    time. Moving is costly and time consuming. Being in very large
    cities has a lot of other advantages as well, even to start ups.

    Reprisal, Sep 22, 2006
  6. In message <>, Reprisal
    <> writes
    >When you find yourself sitting around with some smart people and a good
    >idea, you try to get moving on it as expediently as possible. Generally
    >that means, where ever most of you happen to live at the time. Moving
    >is costly and time consuming.

    If you are young (as I expect you are) you won't have the shackles that
    hold you in London. If you are older and own property, selling up and
    moving will raise a huge amount of capital in the current UK market,
    even after purchasing elsewhere. Capital that you could invest in the
    startup.

    I moved from Alexandria (Loch Lomond, north of Glasgow) to Cambridge in
    1988. I was penniless having not been paid for months and then the
    company went tits up. And yet I could afford it. Moving doesn't cost
    that much (it didn't then and it doesn't now and I had my stuff in
    storage for over a year - it cost so little I can't even remember it -
    if it had been expensive that'd be lodged in my brain forever) in
    relative terms. It doesn't take that much time (not when you factor the
    cost against where you are living).

    Cash burn is your major issue - compared to this, moving costs are
    trivial. Cash burn in London is worse than just about anywhere you can
    choose in the UK, from premises rent to wages to live, etc.

    >Being in very large cities has a lot of other advantages as well, even

    to >start ups.

    There are plenty of large cities in the UK. None of which of have the
    costs associated with London. Or the -ves of living in London (but I
    guess you see those as +ves). If I was in the market for choosing a city
    (I'm not, I hate them) I'd choose Manchester or Leeds or Glasgow.

    Anyway, as I said, good luck with your startup. I hope for your sake it
    has a higher barrier to entry than punchbowl.com. Do you have a website
    so we can see if you have a decent idea? (No I don't want to copy it,
    I'm way too busy already).

    Stephen
    Stephen Kellett, Sep 22, 2006