    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Dec 13, 2007

  2. On Dec 13, 10:47 am, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
    > but one of the stations were 100 meters away?

    100m is the specced maximum segment length for a single run of
    category 5 UTP cable, so all you really need is two shorter runs that
    add up to 100m and some sort of repeater to connect them (a switch or
    hub will do nicely).

    For wireless, get a directional antenna. Depending on the amount of
    gain you need they can be had for $30 or so up to $300 or so.

    Owen Jacobson, Dec 13, 2007

  3. Owen Jacobson wrote:
    > On Dec 13, 10:47 am, Roedy Green <>
    > wrote:
    >> What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
    >> but one of the stations were 100 meters away?

    > 100m is the specced maximum segment length for a single run of
    > category 5 UTP cable, so all you really need is two shorter runs that
    > add up to 100m and some sort of repeater to connect them (a switch or
    > hub will do nicely).
    >
    > For wireless, get a directional antenna. Depending on the amount of
    > gain you need they can be had for $30 or so up to $300 or so.

    That's what I would suggest but odds are that it will still work at
    wireless or better speeds on the 300m cable. You can always buy 300m of
    cable and try it :).

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/

    Knute Johnson, Dec 13, 2007
  4. Owen Jacobson wrote:

    > On Dec 13, 10:47 am, Roedy Green <>
    > wrote:
    > > What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
    > > but one of the stations were 100 meters away?

    > 100m is the specced maximum segment length for a single run of
    > category 5 UTP cable, so all you really need is two shorter runs that
    > add up to 100m and some sort of repeater to connect them (a switch or
    > hub will do nicely).

    He said it's 100m away, wouldn't just a cable suffice, given it was well
    protected/isolated?

    > For wireless, get a directional antenna. Depending on the amount of
    > gain you need they can be had for $30 or so up to $300 or so.

    If this distance is outside, definately consider this, because lightning
    might strike closeby any wiring.
    --
    Sabine Dinis Blochberger

    Op3racional
    www.op3racional.eu

    Sabine Dinis Blochberger, Dec 14, 2007
  5. On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:47:09 GMT, Roedy Green wrote:
    > What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
    > but one of the stations were 100 meters away?

    At that distance I'll guess the endpoints are in separate buildings.
    Connecting separately grounded equipment together with shielded cable
    that way could cause you no end of grief due to ground loops unless
    you know what you're doing. A simple way to avoid that is optical
    cable or wireless.

    I'm not an expert, but have seen this discussed in other forums.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Dec 14, 2007
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:47:09 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
    >but one of the stations were 100 meters away?

    I have recorded what I learned at
    http://mindprod.com/bgloss/ethernet.html

    Roedy Green, Dec 14, 2007
  7. Roedy Green

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    Roedy Green wrote
    > What sort of equipment would you use if you wanted to set up a LAN,
    > but one of the stations were 100 meters away?

    From Cisco online documentation:
    Internetworking Technology Handbook
    <http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/index.htm>
    Internetwork Design Guide
    <http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/idg4/index.htm>
    Internetwork Troubleshooting Handbook
    <http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/itg_v1/index.htm>
    Internetworking Terms and Acronyms
    <http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ita/index.htm>
    Cisco Documentation Home
    <http://www.cisco.com/univercd/home/home.htm>

    From IEEE:
    IEEE 802(R) LAN/MAN Standards for free download
    <http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/portfolio.html>

    Jeff Higgins, Dec 24, 2007