Long running requests terminate -- should I start a process on the server instead?

mortb

Hi!

On my ASP.NET web site I do some operations that takes several minutes to
handle. I.e. one action shall generate a file from some data in our
database. The action takes about 5 minutes to complete. The problem is that
the users of our system are not on our network and somewhere along the way
the request gets terminated when say three minutes has passed.

What I would like to know is if anyone has some ideas or references to how
we may solve this.

I'm thinking about making a conslole application that will be started from
the ASP.WEB app and run as a separate process. The user will be served a
page that will postback automatically every five seconds and check if the
console app has completed the action. If the action is completed the user
will be served the result otherwize the same page which will postback and
check the console app etc.

I'm also considering to write a NT service instead of a console app.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone done anything like this? Does anyone
have any references, links? Pros/cons? Sequrity issues?

cheers,
mortb