    with such information?

    Thanks for teaching.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Jan 18, 2013

  2. 2013-01-18 21:11, fulio pen wrote:

    > I am interested in the following web page:
    >
    > http://www.elgin.free-online.co.uk/showtones.htm
    >
    > And like to see its css code which is in an external page:
    >
    > <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="display.css">
    >
    > Could anyone teach me on how to look at (open) the external css page
    > with such information?

    A simple(-minded) way is to append the relative URL "display.css" to the
    base URL, which is in this case "http://www.elgin.free-online.co.uk/"
    (just delete everything after the last "/" in the document's own URL) to get

    http://www.elgin.free-online.co.uk/display.css

    and visit that page on your browser. (Technically, the base URL could be
    different, it could be set in the document, with the <base> tag.)

    A better way is to use e.g. the Chrome browser and press F12 to enter
    "developer mode", then open the <link> element in the source view and
    click on its attribute "style.css". You will then see the style sheet as
    color-coded (i.e., property names in red, etc.).

    Other modern browsers have similar tools, but Chrome might be the best
    to start with. Note that Chrome developer tools also let you click on
    any element in the source view and see the CSS code applicable to it
    (Styles and Matched CSS rules) as well as the computed values of CSS
    properties (Computed Style). The dimensional issues are shown
    separately, under "Metrics".

    In this case, the style sheet starts with
    <!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->
    which means that someone saved it from the net and later uploaded onto
    the web server, without even editing that comment!

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 18, 2013

  3. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > 2013-01-18 21:11, fulio pen wrote:
    >
    >> I am interested in the following web page:
    >>
    >> http://www.elgin.free-online.co.uk/showtones.htm
    >>
    >> And like to see its css code which is in an external page:
    >>
    >> <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="display.css">

    Since they start out with HTML comment in an CSS file I question the
    value is studying their code.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 18, 2013
  4. 2013-01-19 0:08, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >> 2013-01-18 21:11, fulio pen wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am interested in the following web page:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.elgin.free-online.co.uk/showtones.htm
    >>>
    >>> And like to see its css code which is in an external page:
    >>>
    >>> <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="display.css">

    > Since they start out with HTML comment in an CSS file I question the
    > value is studying their code.

    It depends on the purposes of your study. It might be an interesting
    study on bogosity (the style sheet has over 20 other errors too), or a
    study on some specific aspect of styling. Just because 50% of something
    is crap does not mean that all the rest is completely useless.

    And you cannot usually decide whether a style sheet is worth studying
    before having some access to it, can you? I saw the question as relating
    to seeing what a style sheet really is.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 18, 2013
  5. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > 2013-01-19 0:08, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >> Since they start out with HTML comment in an CSS file I question the
    >> value is studying their code.

    > It depends on the purposes of your study. It might be an interesting
    > study on bogosity

    Can you get a degree in that? ;-)

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 19, 2013
  6. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Jan 18, 8:39 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > >> Since they start out with HTML comment in an CSS file I question the
    > >> value is studying their code.

    > > It depends on the purposes of your study. It might be an interesting
    > > study on bogosity

    > Can you get a degree in that? ;-)
    >
    > > (the style sheet has over 20 other errors too), or a
    > > study on some specific aspect of styling. Just because 50% of something
    > > is crap does not mean that all the rest is completely useless.

    > > And you cannot usually decide whether a style sheet is worth studying
    > > before having some access to it, can you? I saw the question as relating
    > > to seeing what a style sheet really is.

    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Thanks to all for your expertise and discussion. Your help is greatly
    appreciated.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Jan 21, 2013
  7. fulio pen wrote:
    > Thanks to all for your expertise and discussion. Your help is greatly
    > appreciated.

    You can learn a lot about web design by looking at what others do but
    you can also pickup a lot of bad practice as well.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 21, 2013