Looking for a 3D physics engine

Marc-antoine Kruzik

Chipmunk seems to be a pretty cool 2D physics engine, but does a 3D
physics engine exist for Ruby ?

I would like to develop an Alundra-like game :

I developed a very simple 3D physics engine by myself some years ago,
but I lacked the mathematics competencies.
Here's a poor sample of what I have done :

Maybe it could help : I don't need rotations.
When the player kicks a box, the box slides on the ground and can go
down a slope, but it never overturns.

If there are no 3D physics engine, I will try to create a basic one from
a 2D engine, such as Chipmunk.

--

So :

1- does a (simple) 3D physics engine exist for Ruby ?
2- if no 3D engine exists, which 2D engine do you recommend me to make
what I want ?

Thank you for your answer.

(I'm french, sorry for my mistakes.)

Jason Roelofs

AFAIK no 3D physics engine has fully fleshed out bindings into Ruby. I =
would highly recommend you look at existing free engines (like Bullet, =
Newton / PhysX, and ODE) and look into building a Ruby wrapper for them =
much more than building one yourself.

I've had long-term plans of building such a wrapper. If you do start =
into this I'd love to follow your progress / help out with this.

Jason

Thomas E Enebo

JRME is a JRuby-based wrapper around JMonkeyEngine and JMEPhysics
(which use ODE physics engine underneath).

http://kenai.com/projects/jrme

I mostly have been playing with this as a basis for nice demo-candy
for JRuby, but in actuality it is pretty simple to write stuff. If
you clone this then you can do:

/bin/sample madness (You must have jruby installed and in your path)

...to see a simple game I wrote with it (source is
/samples/madness*). There are some other samples there as well.
jmephysics_lesson{n} are a basic transcription with some rubification
of the same tutorials for jmephysics. These should give a good idea
of how the physics stuff works.

-Tom

Bosko Ivanisevic

Chipmunk seems to be a pretty cool 2D physics engine, but does a 3D
physics engine exist for Ruby ?

I would like to develop an Alundra-like game :

I developed a very simple 3D physics engine by myself some years ago,
but I lacked the mathematics competencies.
Here's a poor sample of what I have done :

Maybe it could help : I don't need rotations.
When the player kicks a box, the box slides on the ground and can go
down a slope, but it never overturns.

If there are no 3D physics engine, I will try to create a basic one from
a 2D engine, such as Chipmunk.

--

So :

1- does a (simple) 3D physics engine exist for Ruby ?
2- if no 3D engine exists, which 2D engine do you recommend me to make
what I want ?

Thank you for your answer.

(I'm french, sorry for my mistakes.)

Take a look at root.cern.ch. I think they have Ruby support but I'm
not sure whether it will suite you.

Marc-antoine Kruzik

Bosko said:
Take a look at root.cern.ch. I think they have Ruby support but I'm
not sure whether it will suite you.

Are you sure I can use this as a 3D physics engine for my game ? I's a
data analysis framework. Or maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this
soft.

_____________

Jason said:
AFAIK no 3D physics engine has fully fleshed out bindings into Ruby. I
would highly recommend you look at existing free engines (like Bullet,
Newton / PhysX, and ODE) and look into building a Ruby wrapper for them
much more than building one yourself.

Create a wrapper is really not something I use to. I looked at a bit,
but it's not my cup of tea.

I've had long-term plans of building such a wrapper. If you do start
into this I'd love to follow your progress / help out with this.

Thank you for your help, but I have to decline.

________________________
JRME is a JRuby-based wrapper around JMonkeyEngine and JMEPhysics
(which use ODE physics engine underneath).

http://kenai.com/projects/jrme

[...]
These should give a good idea
of how the physics stuff works.

My first attempt to create a 3D physics engine was just a modified 2D
engine. Because I don't need rotations, I think I can fulfill by myself
what I'm looking for.

I will not try to create a "real" 3D engine, rather something pretty
simple. I looked at your code, and I'm looking at Chipmunk's code to see
how things (shape, body, vector) are working.

The actual version of my code is working, but there is a lot of work to
do.