    As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command :).

    As user friendly as any graphical app is.

    TIA

    Loup Blanc, Jul 22, 2004

  2. Loup Blanc wrote:
    > I'm looking for a smarter shell for windows 2K.
    > As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command :).

    Then why don't you use those? All of them are available for Windows.

    > As user friendly as any graphical app is.

    That's a matter of how _you_ define user friendly for yourself.

    BTW: Do you have a Perl question, too?

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Loup Blanc

    Keith Keller Guest

    Keith Keller, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Loup Blanc

    Loup Blanc Guest

    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message news:<cNDLc.40172$>...
    > Loup Blanc wrote:
    > > I'm looking for a smarter shell for windows 2K.
    > > As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command :).

    > Then why don't you use those? All of them are available for Windows.

    I want to avoid Cygwin and I don't know any other win32 port. Maybe
    you can help?

    > > As user friendly as any graphical app is.

    > That's a matter of how _you_ define user friendly for yourself.

    put simply : scrollable, mouse enabled

    > BTW: Do you have a Perl question, too?
    >
    > jue

    in fact it is a pre-perl question or around-perl question since perl
    script are usually launched from the command line.

    Loup Blanc, Jul 22, 2004
  5. Loup Blanc

    Joe Smith Guest

    Loup Blanc wrote:

    > I'm looking for a smarter shell for windows 2K.
    >
    > As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command :).

    Both bash and tcsh for cygwin are just as smart as the Unix shells.

    They are, however, hampered by the terminal emulation that W2K
    provides for DOS based programs, but that's a completely different
    topic. (With X-windows under cygwin, you should be able to get
    xterm functionality.)
    -Joe
    Joe Smith, Jul 22, 2004
  6. Loup Blanc

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth (Loup Blanc):
    > "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message news:<cNDLc.40172$>...
    > > Loup Blanc wrote:
    > > > I'm looking for a smarter shell for windows 2K.
    > > > As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command :).

    > > Then why don't you use those? All of them are available for Windows.

    > I want to avoid Cygwin and I don't know any other win32 port. Maybe
    > you can help?

    There is a native port of zsh that I use when I'm forced onto windows.
    There is mingw/msys (on sf.net) which are native ports of the cygwin stuff.
    There's ATT's POSIX.DLL-based system, but I guess you'd avoid that for
    the same reasons as cygwin.

    > > > As user friendly as any graphical app is.

    > > That's a matter of how _you_ define user friendly for yourself.

    > put simply : scrollable, mouse enabled

    This is a question of terminal emulator, not shell; I've yet to find a
    decent one.

    Ben

    --
    All persons, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Ben Morrow, Jul 23, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    (Loup Blanc) wrote:
    > "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    > > Loup Blanc wrote:
    > > > As user friendly as any graphical app is.

    > > That's a matter of how _you_ define user friendly for yourself.

    > put simply : scrollable, mouse enabled

    That's not the shell that provides that, that's the terminal emulator.

    Ricky
    Richard Morse, Jul 23, 2004