Looking for a better shell for windows 2K

Loup Blanc

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a smarter shell for windows 2K.

As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command :).

As user friendly as any graphical app is.

TIA

Jürgen Exner

Loup said:
I'm looking for a smarter shell for windows 2K.
As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command :).

Then why don't you use those? All of them are available for Windows.
As user friendly as any graphical app is.

That's a matter of how _you_ define user friendly for yourself.

BTW: Do you have a Perl question, too?

jue

Keith Keller

Loup Blanc

Jürgen Exner said:
Then why don't you use those? All of them are available for Windows.

I want to avoid Cygwin and I don't know any other win32 port. Maybe
you can help?
That's a matter of how _you_ define user friendly for yourself.

put simply : scrollable, mouse enabled
BTW: Do you have a Perl question, too?

jue

in fact it is a pre-perl question or around-perl question since perl
script are usually launched from the command line.

Joe Smith

Loup said:
I'm looking for a smarter shell for windows 2K.

As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command :).

Both bash and tcsh for cygwin are just as smart as the Unix shells.

They are, however, hampered by the terminal emulation that W2K
provides for DOS based programs, but that's a completely different
topic. (With X-windows under cygwin, you should be able to get
xterm functionality.)
-Joe

Ben Morrow

Quoth (e-mail address removed) (Loup Blanc):
I want to avoid Cygwin and I don't know any other win32 port. Maybe
you can help?

There is a native port of zsh that I use when I'm forced onto windows.
There is mingw/msys (on sf.net) which are native ports of the cygwin stuff.
There's ATT's POSIX.DLL-based system, but I guess you'd avoid that for
the same reasons as cygwin.
put simply : scrollable, mouse enabled

This is a question of terminal emulator, not shell; I've yet to find a
decent one.

Ben