    provider with the above features?

    Thanks,

    Zalek
    Zalek Bloom, May 2, 2004

  2. Zalek Bloom

    VisionSet Guest

    "Zalek Bloom" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > My current provider http://www.webappcabaret.com/index.html increased
    > price to $17/month. I am using it site for learning purposes and
    > $17/month is too much for me. I want to write Java servlets, JSP and
    > save data on MySQL or other database. Maybe someone knows a cheaper
    > provider with the above features?

    KGBInternet.com from $10 Canadian

    http://www.servlets.com/isps/servlet/ISPReviewView?id=63

    Very happy with the service.

    --
    Mike W
    VisionSet, May 3, 2004

  3. Zalek Bloom

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 02 May 2004 21:26:03 GMT, Zalek Bloom <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >My current provider http://www.webappcabaret.com/index.html increased
    >price to $17/month. I am using it site for learning purposes and
    >$17/month is too much for me. I want to write Java servlets, JSP and
    >save data on MySQL or other database. Maybe someone knows a cheaper
    >provider with the above features?

    see my list of providers sorted in ascending order by cost.

    Don't take the costs too literally. Each has many packages and extra
    cost options.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/isp.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, May 3, 2004
  4. On Sun, 02 May 2004 21:26:03 GMT, Zalek Bloom wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > My current provider http://www.webappcabaret.com/index.html increased
    > price to $17/month. I am using it site for learning purposes and
    > $17/month is too much for me. I want to write Java servlets, JSP and
    > save data on MySQL or other database. Maybe someone knows a cheaper
    > provider with the above features?

    Not sure about the D/B, but
    <http://www.myjavaserver.com>
    has just begun accepting new members.

    You cannot get much cheaper than 'free'.

    Also, my host provides 500+Meg
    space, full Java and D/B for $10
    a month.
    <http://lunarpages.com>

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, May 3, 2004
  5. Zalek Bloom

    Tony Morris Guest

    > Hello,
    >
    > My current provider http://www.webappcabaret.com/index.html increased
    > price to $17/month. I am using it site for learning purposes and
    > $17/month is too much for me. I want to write Java servlets, JSP and
    > save data on MySQL or other database. Maybe someone knows a cheaper
    > provider with the above features?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Zalek

    You are paying $17 per month for resources to learn how to write Servlet/JSP
    ?
    What's wrong with installing this software on your own machine like everyone
    else does ?

    --
    Tony Morris
    Software Engineer
    Tony Morris, May 3, 2004
  6. Zalek Bloom

    Sudsy Guest

    Tony Morris wrote:
    <snip>
    > You are paying $17 per month for resources to learn how to write Servlet/JSP
    > ?
    > What's wrong with installing this software on your own machine like everyone
    > else does ?

    Tony,
    With all due respect, there are some things you can only confirm
    with a static IP. Testing with localhost (127.0.0.1) is fine to a
    point, but then you have to deploy to a quasi-production facility.
    I actually have development (localhost), testing (off-line server)
    and production (on-line server) staging.
    My cable-modem access costs CDN$107/month so US$17/month seems
    cheap by comparison. You also have to take into account that not
    every production server is going to be running WebSphere...

    ps. Sorry for the tease. It's still my production platform of choice!
    Sudsy, May 3, 2004
  7. Zalek Bloom

    Tony Morris Guest

    "Sudsy" <> wrote in message
    > Tony Morris wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > You are paying $17 per month for resources to learn how to write

    Servlet/JSP
    > > ?
    > > What's wrong with installing this software on your own machine like

    everyone
    > > else does ?

    > Tony,
    > With all due respect, there are some things you can only confirm
    > with a static IP. Testing with localhost (127.0.0.1) is fine to a
    > point, but then you have to deploy to a quasi-production facility.
    > I actually have development (localhost), testing (off-line server)
    > and production (on-line server) staging.
    > My cable-modem access costs CDN$107/month so US$17/month seems
    > cheap by comparison. You also have to take into account that not
    > every production server is going to be running WebSphere...
    >
    > ps. Sorry for the tease. It's still my production platform of choice!

    This post seems to go off on a tangent (correct me if I'm wrong).
    I agree wholly with the major points made, but they are irrelevant to the
    fact that paying money to learn how to write Servlets/JSP is not "the norm"
    and is a little absurd i.e. you could learn on your own development machine,
    so why pay money ?

    I usually develop on multiple machines and/or platforms depending on
    requirements, but if I was just learning a particular topic, I'd try to keep
    it as simple as possible - is it just me ?

    --
    Tony Morris
    Software Engineer
    Tony Morris, May 3, 2004
  8. Zalek Bloom

    Sudsy Guest

    Tony Morris wrote:
    > "Sudsy" <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    > This post seems to go off on a tangent (correct me if I'm wrong).
    > I agree wholly with the major points made, but they are irrelevant to the
    > fact that paying money to learn how to write Servlets/JSP is not "the norm"
    > and is a little absurd i.e. you could learn on your own development machine,
    > so why pay money ?

    I agree that most educational development and deployment can be
    achieved using local resources. Download JBoss, Oracle, DB/2,
    trial versions of WebSphere, WebLogic, etc.
    What I'm suggesting is that, once you get to a certain point,
    deployment issues come to the forefront. Localhost isn't going
    to assist you in diagnosing path/access issues: for that you
    need a "real" server.
    And US$17/mo seems cheap in my humble estimation...
    YMMV
    Sudsy, May 3, 2004
  9. Zalek Bloom

    Zalek Bloom Guest

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 02:13:57 GMT, "Tony Morris" <>
    wrote:

    >"Zalek Bloom" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> My current provider http://www.webappcabaret.com/index.html increased
    >> price to $17/month. I am using it site for learning purposes and
    >> $17/month is too much for me. I want to write Java servlets, JSP and
    >> save data on MySQL or other database. Maybe someone knows a cheaper
    >> provider with the above features?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Zalek

    >You are paying $17 per month for resources to learn how to write Servlet/JSP
    >?
    >What's wrong with installing this software on your own machine like everyone
    >else does ?

    I have software installed on my home PC, but I like to learn at work
    too. I cannot legally install any software on my work PC, but I can
    legaly learn servlets from Internet.

    Zalek
    Zalek Bloom, May 4, 2004