Looking for a cheap provider with Java and MySQL

Zalek Bloom

Hello,

My current provider http://www.webappcabaret.com/index.html increased
price to $17/month. I am using it site for learning purposes and
$17/month is too much for me. I want to write Java servlets, JSP and
save data on MySQL or other database. Maybe someone knows a cheaper
provider with the above features?

Thanks,

Zalek

VisionSet

Roedy Green

My current provider http://www.webappcabaret.com/index.html increased
price to $17/month. I am using it site for learning purposes and
$17/month is too much for me. I want to write Java servlets, JSP and
save data on MySQL or other database. Maybe someone knows a cheaper
provider with the above features?
see my list of providers sorted in ascending order by cost.

Don't take the costs too literally. Each has many packages and extra
cost options.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/isp.html

Andrew Thompson

Hello,

My current provider http://www.webappcabaret.com/index.html increased
price to $17/month. I am using it site for learning purposes and
$17/month is too much for me. I want to write Java servlets, JSP and
save data on MySQL or other database. Maybe someone knows a cheaper
provider with the above features?

Not sure about the D/B, but
<http://www.myjavaserver.com>
has just begun accepting new members.

You cannot get much cheaper than 'free'.

Also, my host provides 500+Meg
space, full Java and D/B for $10
a month.
<http://lunarpages.com>

HTH

Tony Morris

Zalek Bloom said:
Hello,

My current provider http://www.webappcabaret.com/index.html increased
price to $17/month. I am using it site for learning purposes and
$17/month is too much for me. I want to write Java servlets, JSP and
save data on MySQL or other database. Maybe someone knows a cheaper
provider with the above features?

Thanks,

Zalek

You are paying $17 per month for resources to learn how to write Servlet/JSP
?
What's wrong with installing this software on your own machine like everyone
else does ?

--
Tony Morris
Software Engineer

Sudsy

Tony Morris wrote:
You are paying $17 per month for resources to learn how to write Servlet/JSP
?
What's wrong with installing this software on your own machine like everyone
else does ?

Tony,
With all due respect, there are some things you can only confirm
with a static IP. Testing with localhost (127.0.0.1) is fine to a
point, but then you have to deploy to a quasi-production facility.
I actually have development (localhost), testing (off-line server)
and production (on-line server) staging.
My cable-modem access costs CDN$107/month so US$17/month seems
cheap by comparison. You also have to take into account that not
every production server is going to be running WebSphere...

ps. Sorry for the tease. It's still my production platform of choice!

Tony Morris

Sudsy said:
Tony Morris wrote:

Tony,
With all due respect, there are some things you can only confirm
with a static IP. Testing with localhost (127.0.0.1) is fine to a
point, but then you have to deploy to a quasi-production facility.
I actually have development (localhost), testing (off-line server)
and production (on-line server) staging.
My cable-modem access costs CDN$107/month so US$17/month seems
cheap by comparison. You also have to take into account that not
every production server is going to be running WebSphere...

ps. Sorry for the tease. It's still my production platform of choice!

This post seems to go off on a tangent (correct me if I'm wrong).
I agree wholly with the major points made, but they are irrelevant to the
fact that paying money to learn how to write Servlets/JSP is not "the norm"
and is a little absurd i.e. you could learn on your own development machine,
so why pay money ?

I usually develop on multiple machines and/or platforms depending on
requirements, but if I was just learning a particular topic, I'd try to keep
it as simple as possible - is it just me ?

--
Tony Morris
Software Engineer

Sudsy

Tony said:
"Sudsy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
This post seems to go off on a tangent (correct me if I'm wrong).
I agree wholly with the major points made, but they are irrelevant to the
fact that paying money to learn how to write Servlets/JSP is not "the norm"
and is a little absurd i.e. you could learn on your own development machine,
so why pay money ?

I agree that most educational development and deployment can be
achieved using local resources. Download JBoss, Oracle, DB/2,
trial versions of WebSphere, WebLogic, etc.
What I'm suggesting is that, once you get to a certain point,
deployment issues come to the forefront. Localhost isn't going
to assist you in diagnosing path/access issues: for that you
need a "real" server.
And US$17/mo seems cheap in my humble estimation...
YMMV

Zalek Bloom

You are paying $17 per month for resources to learn how to write Servlet/JSP
?
What's wrong with installing this software on your own machine like everyone
else does ?

I have software installed on my home PC, but I like to learn at work
too. I cannot legally install any software on my work PC, but I can
legaly learn servlets from Internet.

Zalek