    the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in
    it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be appreciative.

    -JKop

    JKop, Jun 25, 2004

  2. JKop

    JKop Guest

    JKop posted:

    > I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest
    > a good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
    > optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++
    > at the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999
    > bugs in it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be
    > appreciative.
    >

    > -JKop

    Also, complete with up-to-date WinXP header files and library files.

    -JKop

    JKop, Jun 25, 2004

  3. JKop

    Andre Kostur Guest

    JKop <> wrote in news:tyXCc.3181$:

    > JKop posted:
    >

    >> I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest
    >> a good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
    >> optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++
    >> at the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999
    >> bugs in it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be
    >> appreciative.
    >>

    >> -JKop

    > Also, complete with up-to-date WinXP header files and library files.

    Umm.. rather offtopic for the newsgroup... you might want to try some of
    the microsoft newsgroups (on news.microsoft.com), as you appear to be
    trying to develop on their platform....

    I think MS allows you to download their command-line tools... but I don't
    know how much of MS's SDK they include...

    Andre Kostur, Jun 25, 2004
  4. JKop

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "JKop" <> wrote in message

    > I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest a
    > good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
    > optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++ at
    > the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs

    in
    > it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be

    appreciative.

    For Windows, I'd recommend either Microsoft Visual C++ or
    Borland C++. Both are commercial products, but both have
    free versions with some stuff omitted. Check their web sites.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Jun 25, 2004
  5. JKop

    JKop Guest

    Andre Kostur posted:

    > Umm.. rather offtopic for the newsgroup... you might want to try some
    > of the microsoft newsgroups (on news.microsoft.com), as you appear to
    > be trying to develop on their platform....
    >
    > I think MS allows you to download their command-line tools... but I
    > don't know how much of MS's SDK they include...

    I downloaded DigitalMars. I'm going to have to hire a private detective
    though to find where in the hell the editor is in it.

    -JKop

    JKop, Jun 25, 2004
  6. JKop

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT] Looking for a compiler

    "Andre Kostur" <> wrote in message
    > JKop <> wrote in news:tyXCc.3181$:
    >
    > > JKop posted:
    > >

    > >> I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest
    > >> a good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
    > >> optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++
    > >> at the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999
    > >> bugs in it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be
    > >> appreciative.
    > >>

    > >> -JKop

    > > Also, complete with up-to-date WinXP header files and library files.

    > Umm.. rather offtopic for the newsgroup... you might want to try some of
    > the microsoft newsgroups (on news.microsoft.com), as you appear to be
    > trying to develop on their platform....
    >
    > I think MS allows you to download their command-line tools... but I don't
    > know how much of MS's SDK they include...

    The entire Windows SDK (and many 'specialty' ones) are
    available free from Microsoft (either by download or
    on CD for shipping costs).

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Jun 25, 2004
  7. JKop

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    > I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest a
    > good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
    > optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++ at
    > the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in
    > it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be appreciative.

    www.openwatcom.com

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, Jun 25, 2004
  8. JKop

    David Harmon Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:55:45 GMT in comp.lang.c++, JKop <>
    wrote,
    >I downloaded DigitalMars. I'm going to have to hire a private detective
    >though to find where in the hell the editor is in it.

    Hah hah. That's a funny one. An editor "in" a compiler.
    Like, how stupid would that be? Next you would have the
    compiler trying to force you to use "its" editor, instead of
    the one you have chosen for yourself!

    David Harmon, Jun 25, 2004
  9. JKop

    Tabrez Iqbal Guest

    JKop <> wrote in message news:<ZvXCc.3180$>...
    > I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest a
    > good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
    > optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++ at
    > the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in
    > it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be appreciative.
    >

    > -JKop

    What's wrong with gcc/g++ compilers? I am sure you know about these
    compilers, don't you? You can download the Windows versions. -S
    creates assembly and -O is for optimizations. You can also download
    GNU MingW studio if you want an IDE.

    Microsoft C++ Compiler 7.1 is free.

    Borlnad C++ command line compilers (bcc ver 5.5) were also free

    tabrez

    Tabrez Iqbal, Jun 26, 2004
  10. JKop

    JKop Guest

    Tabrez Iqbal posted:

    > What's wrong with gcc/g++ compilers? I am sure you know about these
    > compilers, don't you? You can download the Windows versions. -S
    > creates assembly and -O is for optimizations. You can also download
    > GNU MingW studio if you want an IDE.
    >
    > Microsoft C++ Compiler 7.1 is free.
    >
    > Borlnad C++ command line compilers (bcc ver 5.5) were also free
    >
    > tabrez

    What exactly are the gcc/g++ compilers, and why are they so famous?!

    -JKop

    JKop, Jun 26, 2004
  11. JKop

    PCportinc Guest

    >I'm using Dev C++ at
    >the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in
    >it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too,

    I have used all the available free C++ compilers and they all have 99x99 bugs
    in them.
    As does C++ itself.
    a decent environment would be a mental ward after taking Cobol, Java, C++.

    PCportinc, Jun 26, 2004
  12. JKop <> wrote in message news:<SubDc.3207$>...

    > What exactly are the gcc/g++ compilers, and why are they so famous?!

    They are professional front-end for (included) professional open
    source compilers, assembler and linker editor for
    c,c++,java,ada95,fortran and objective c.
    They are so famous because about the totality of the open source code
    is compiled by this one, I suppose. You can find them in every
    GNU/Linux distribution.
    Look at http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/ where they can be downloaded
    with the documentation too.
    At http://www.gnu.org many development tools can be found, first of
    all the gdb debugger.

    Ciao,

    Fabio

    fabio de francesco, Jun 26, 2004
  13. JKop wrote:
    > I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest a
    > good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
    > optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++ at
    > the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in
    > it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be appreciative.

    http://www.mingw.org there you can download the *compiler* (this is the
    same compiler Dev-C++ uses) which is a GCC port for Windows, and at
    http://www.context.cx/ you can download a nice *editor* to use as a
    front-end to it (instead of using Notepad for example).

    Regards,

    Ioannis Vranos

    Ioannis Vranos, Jun 27, 2004
  14. fabio de francesco wrote:

    > JKop <> wrote in message news:<SubDc.3207$>...
    >

    >>What exactly are the gcc/g++ compilers, and why are they so famous?!

    > They are professional front-end for (included) professional open

    GCC is not about front-ends but about compilers. GCC stands for GNU
    Compiler Collection and it includes gcc (gnu c compiler), g++ (C++
    compiler) and some others about other languages like Fortran.

    There are GCC ports for many platforms including Windows.

    Regards,

    Ioannis Vranos

    Ioannis Vranos, Jun 27, 2004
  15. Ioannis Vranos wrote:

    > JKop wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest
    >> a good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
    >> optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev
    >> C++ at the moment, but it has approximately
    >> 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in it, so if anyone can suggest a
    >> decent environment too, I'll be appreciative.

    > http://www.mingw.org there you can download the *compiler* (this is the
    > same compiler Dev-C++ uses) which is a GCC port for Windows, and at
    > http://www.context.cx/ you can download a nice *editor* to use as a
    > front-end to it (instead of using Notepad for example).

    To help you more at http://www.mingw.org the latest complete official
    package to download is

    MinGW bin MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe

    It includes all languages together with Windows API support.

    Regards,

    Ioannis Vranos

    Ioannis Vranos, Jun 27, 2004
  16. atSPAM (PCportinc) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >I'm using Dev C++ at
    > >the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in
    > >it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too,

    > I have used all the available free C++ compilers and they all have 99x99 bugs
    > in them.
    > As does C++ itself.
    > a decent environment would be a mental ward after taking Cobol, Java, C++.

    I disagree. MinGW is a very nice compiler for Windows XP. I use it
    along with the freely available IDE Dev-C++, which can be downloaded
    from http://www.bloodshed.net. It is a very nice IDE with a few bugs,
    but for the msot part, si the perfect editor for learning C++. Also,
    if you want a command line solution, check out DJGPP, the Win32 port
    of G++. That might be another solution as well. You might want to
    download a basic Linux distro and then work with G++ and vi/emacs/your
    favorite text editor. G++ has very few bugs, and is a GREAT C++
    compiler. The Linux platform itself is also great, and besides the
    lack of device drivers for some hardware, especially wireless cards,
    it is a rock solid OS.

    Scott Simontis, Jun 27, 2004
  17. Scott Simontis wrote:

    > I disagree. MinGW is a very nice compiler for Windows XP. I use it
    > along with the freely available IDE Dev-C++, which can be downloaded
    > from http://www.bloodshed.net. It is a very nice IDE with a few bugs,
    > but for the msot part, si the perfect editor for learning C++. Also,
    > if you want a command line solution, check out DJGPP, the Win32 port
    > of G++.

    Actually MINGW is the 32-bit Windows port of GCC.

    DJGPP produces 32-bit DOS executables.

    Regards,

    Ioannis Vranos

    Ioannis Vranos, Jun 27, 2004
  18. Ioannis Vranos <> wrote in message news:<cbl15e$ssr$>...
    > fabio de francesco wrote:
    >
    > > JKop <> wrote in message news:<SubDc.3207$>...
    > >

    > >>What exactly are the gcc/g++ compilers, and why are they so famous?!

    > > They are professional front-end for (included) professional open

    > GCC is not about front-ends but about compilers. GCC stands for GNU
    > Compiler Collection and it includes gcc (gnu c compiler), g++ (C++
    > compiler) and some others about other languages like Fortran.
    >
    > There are GCC ports for many platforms including Windows
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ioannis Vranos

    From http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/ the definition of what gcc is:

    "GCC is the GNU Compiler Collection, which currently contains front
    ends for C, C++, Objective-C, Fortran, Java, and Ada, as well as
    libraries for these languages (libstdc++, libgcj,...)."

    And from http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/frontends.html:

    "Currently the main GCC distribution contains front ends for C (gcc),
    C++ (g++), Objective C, Fortran, Java (GCJ), and Ada (GNAT)."

    The real C compiler is cc1, the C++ compiler is cc1plus and the Ada
    compiler is gnat1. GCC contains all of them plus the C++ and the Ada
    library.

    Ciao,

    Fabio De Francesco

    GCC is really a front end to:

    fabio de francesco, Jun 28, 2004
  19. atSPAM (PCportinc) wrote in message news:<>...

    > I have used all the available free C++ compilers and they all have 99x99 >bugs

    Do you mean that you can report that some closed source no-free C++
    compiler have less bugs than (for example) g++ ?

    I'm really interested to understand what you mean, other than what is
    obvious for every big piece of code.

    Regards,

    Fabio De Francesco

    fabio de francesco, Jun 28, 2004
  20. JKop wrote:

    > Tabrez Iqbal posted:
    >

    >>What's wrong with gcc/g++ compilers? I am sure you know about these
    >>compilers, don't you? You can download the Windows versions. -S
    >>creates assembly and -O is for optimizations. You can also download
    >>GNU MingW studio if you want an IDE.
    >>
    >>Microsoft C++ Compiler 7.1 is free.
    >>
    >>Borlnad C++ command line compilers (bcc ver 5.5) were also free
    >>
    >>tabrez

    > What exactly are the gcc/g++ compilers, and why are they so famous?!

    If you are using Dev C++ you already have used the GCC compiler. Though
    probably the bugs you are experiencing are in the IDE not the compiler.
    My experience is that the Dev C++ IDE is less than perfect.

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

    Peter van Merkerk, Jun 28, 2004