Looking for a compiler

JKop

I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest a
good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++ at
the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in
it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be appreciative.

-JKop

JKop

JKop posted:
I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest
a good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++
at the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999
bugs in it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be
appreciative.

-JKop

Also, complete with up-to-date WinXP header files and library files.

-JKop

Andre Kostur

JKop said:
JKop posted:

Also, complete with up-to-date WinXP header files and library files.

Umm.. rather offtopic for the newsgroup... you might want to try some of
the microsoft newsgroups (on news.microsoft.com), as you appear to be
trying to develop on their platform....

I think MS allows you to download their command-line tools... but I don't
know how much of MS's SDK they include...

Mike Wahler

JKop said:
I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest a
good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++ at
the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in
it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be
appreciative.

For Windows, I'd recommend either Microsoft Visual C++ or
Borland C++. Both are commercial products, but both have
free versions with some stuff omitted. Check their web sites.

-Mike

JKop

Andre Kostur posted:
Umm.. rather offtopic for the newsgroup... you might want to try some
of the microsoft newsgroups (on news.microsoft.com), as you appear to
be trying to develop on their platform....

I think MS allows you to download their command-line tools... but I
don't know how much of MS's SDK they include...

I downloaded DigitalMars. I'm going to have to hire a private detective
though to find where in the hell the editor is in it.

-JKop

Mike Wahler

Andre Kostur said:
Umm.. rather offtopic for the newsgroup... you might want to try some of
the microsoft newsgroups (on news.microsoft.com), as you appear to be
trying to develop on their platform....

I think MS allows you to download their command-line tools... but I don't
know how much of MS's SDK they include...

The entire Windows SDK (and many 'specialty' ones) are
available free from Microsoft (either by download or
on CD for shipping costs).

-Mike

Lynn McGuire

I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest a
good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++ at
the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in
it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be appreciative.

www.openwatcom.com

Lynn

David Harmon

I downloaded DigitalMars. I'm going to have to hire a private detective
though to find where in the hell the editor is in it.

Hah hah. That's a funny one. An editor "in" a compiler.
Like, how stupid would that be? Next you would have the
compiler trying to force you to use "its" editor, instead of
the one you have chosen for yourself!

Tabrez Iqbal

JKop said:
I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest a
good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++ at
the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in
it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be appreciative.

-JKop

What's wrong with gcc/g++ compilers? I am sure you know about these
compilers, don't you? You can download the Windows versions. -S
creates assembly and -O is for optimizations. You can also download
GNU MingW studio if you want an IDE.

Microsoft C++ Compiler 7.1 is free.

Borlnad C++ command line compilers (bcc ver 5.5) were also free

tabrez

JKop

Tabrez Iqbal posted:
What's wrong with gcc/g++ compilers? I am sure you know about these
compilers, don't you? You can download the Windows versions. -S
creates assembly and -O is for optimizations. You can also download
GNU MingW studio if you want an IDE.

Microsoft C++ Compiler 7.1 is free.

Borlnad C++ command line compilers (bcc ver 5.5) were also free

tabrez

What exactly are the gcc/g++ compilers, and why are they so famous?!

-JKop

PCportinc

I'm using Dev C++ at
the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in
it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too,

I have used all the available free C++ compilers and they all have 99x99 bugs
in them.
As does C++ itself.
a decent environment would be a mental ward after taking Cobol, Java, C++.

fabio de francesco

JKop said:
What exactly are the gcc/g++ compilers, and why are they so famous?!

They are professional front-end for (included) professional open
source compilers, assembler and linker editor for
c,c++,java,ada95,fortran and objective c.
They are so famous because about the totality of the open source code
is compiled by this one, I suppose. You can find them in every
GNU/Linux distribution.
Look at http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/ where they can be downloaded
with the documentation too.
At http://www.gnu.org many development tools can be found, first of
all the gdb debugger.

Ciao,

Fabio

Ioannis Vranos

JKop said:
I'm looking for a compiler, I'm running Windows XP. Can anyone suggest a
good one that can output assembly and that has all sorts of good
optimizations in it, all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm using Dev C++ at
the moment, but it has approximately 9999999999999999999999999999999 bugs in
it, so if anyone can suggest a decent environment too, I'll be appreciative.

http://www.mingw.org there you can download the *compiler* (this is the
same compiler Dev-C++ uses) which is a GCC port for Windows, and at
http://www.context.cx/ you can download a nice *editor* to use as a
front-end to it (instead of using Notepad for example).

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

Ioannis Vranos

fabio said:
They are professional front-end for (included) professional open

GCC is not about front-ends but about compilers. GCC stands for GNU
Compiler Collection and it includes gcc (gnu c compiler), g++ (C++
compiler) and some others about other languages like Fortran.

There are GCC ports for many platforms including Windows.

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

Ioannis Vranos

Ioannis said:
http://www.mingw.org there you can download the *compiler* (this is the
same compiler Dev-C++ uses) which is a GCC port for Windows, and at
http://www.context.cx/ you can download a nice *editor* to use as a
front-end to it (instead of using Notepad for example).

To help you more at http://www.mingw.org the latest complete official
package to download is

MinGW bin MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe

It includes all languages together with Windows API support.

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

Scott Simontis

I have used all the available free C++ compilers and they all have 99x99 bugs
in them.
As does C++ itself.
a decent environment would be a mental ward after taking Cobol, Java, C++.

I disagree. MinGW is a very nice compiler for Windows XP. I use it
along with the freely available IDE Dev-C++, which can be downloaded
from http://www.bloodshed.net. It is a very nice IDE with a few bugs,
but for the msot part, si the perfect editor for learning C++. Also,
if you want a command line solution, check out DJGPP, the Win32 port
of G++. That might be another solution as well. You might want to
download a basic Linux distro and then work with G++ and vi/emacs/your
favorite text editor. G++ has very few bugs, and is a GREAT C++
compiler. The Linux platform itself is also great, and besides the
lack of device drivers for some hardware, especially wireless cards,
it is a rock solid OS.

Ioannis Vranos

Scott Simontis wrote:

I disagree. MinGW is a very nice compiler for Windows XP. I use it
along with the freely available IDE Dev-C++, which can be downloaded
from http://www.bloodshed.net. It is a very nice IDE with a few bugs,
but for the msot part, si the perfect editor for learning C++. Also,
if you want a command line solution, check out DJGPP, the Win32 port
of G++.

Actually MINGW is the 32-bit Windows port of GCC.

DJGPP produces 32-bit DOS executables.

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

fabio de francesco

Ioannis Vranos said:
GCC is not about front-ends but about compilers. GCC stands for GNU
Compiler Collection and it includes gcc (gnu c compiler), g++ (C++
compiler) and some others about other languages like Fortran.

There are GCC ports for many platforms including Windows
Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

From http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/ the definition of what gcc is:

"GCC is the GNU Compiler Collection, which currently contains front
ends for C, C++, Objective-C, Fortran, Java, and Ada, as well as
libraries for these languages (libstdc++, libgcj,...)."

And from http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/frontends.html:

"Currently the main GCC distribution contains front ends for C (gcc),
C++ (g++), Objective C, Fortran, Java (GCJ), and Ada (GNAT)."

The real C compiler is cc1, the C++ compiler is cc1plus and the Ada
compiler is gnat1. GCC contains all of them plus the C++ and the Ada
library.

Ciao,

Fabio De Francesco

GCC is really a front end to:

fabio de francesco

I have used all the available free C++ compilers and they all have 99x99 >bugs

Do you mean that you can report that some closed source no-free C++
compiler have less bugs than (for example) g++ ?

I'm really interested to understand what you mean, other than what is
obvious for every big piece of code.

Regards,

Fabio De Francesco

Peter van Merkerk

JKop said:
Tabrez Iqbal posted:

What exactly are the gcc/g++ compilers, and why are they so famous?!

If you are using Dev C++ you already have used the GCC compiler. Though
probably the bugs you are experiencing are in the IDE not the compiler.
My experience is that the Dev C++ IDE is less than perfect.