looking for a consultancy in c

Francesco Zavatarelli

not quite sure it is the right place to post... but I need to write a
program in c that read a file with the following format:

http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/fileformats/PDB+PRCFormat.html#972428

If there is anybody available for writing such a program (paid job of
course), let me know at (e-mail address removed)

If I am sure to find somebody for this job I can talk to my boss and tr to
make an arrangement.

The workflow of the program is very easy:
After a HotSync a Palm device sends a backup of all the sms's to a desktop
PC. The program must read this backup (a file called SmsDB.PDB with the
format above), extracts the sms's and writes another file in xls or txt
format containing all the sms messages in clear.

Thanks
FZ

PS I downloaded a low cost c compiler (http://www.c-compiler.com) but plse
advise about other options.

boa

Francesco said:
not quite sure it is the right place to post... but I need to write a
program in c that read a file with the following format:

http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/fileformats/PDB+PRCFormat.html#972428

If there is anybody available for writing such a program (paid job of
course), let me know at (e-mail address removed)

If I am sure to find somebody for this job I can talk to my boss and tr to
make an arrangement.

Have you tried to google for existing tools/libraries? I did, and found
this: http://www.mverive.com/pdbconverter.htm

Maybe it will help you?

HTH
Boa@home

Francesco Zavatarelli

thanks. I'll download it. And yes I had tried with a search engine but I
found the format and other things... but not this page.

FZ

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

not quite sure it is the right place to post... but I need to write a
program in c that read a file with the following format:

http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/fileformats/PDB+PRCFormat.html#972428

If there is anybody available for writing such a program (paid job of
course), let me know at (e-mail address removed)

The format is very simple, from what I read there. It should be a
one-day job for a professional C or C++ programmer. If you work for a
company which employs programmers, talk to one of them. (But comp.lang.c
is not a recruitment newsgroup; I don't think you'll find any serious
takers of your offer here.) There also exist websites where site members
can post job offers and get coders to bid on them, e.g. I think TopCoder
does this kind of thing? Google for "programmers for hire" or some such.

The web page you mentioned includes references to some API with pre-made
functions to read and write these databases --- have you tried them? or
are they also out of your [price range|licensing policy]?
The workflow of the program is very easy:
After a HotSync a Palm device sends a backup of all the sms's to a desktop
PC. The program must read this backup (a file called SmsDB.PDB with the
format above), extracts the sms's and writes another file in xls or txt
format containing all the sms messages in clear.

If you insist on Microsoft Excel format, you're going to be in a world
of pain six months down the road. Stick to plain text, is my advice.
(The Microsoft formats are neither publicly available nor stable, and
the software to *read* the format will have to be written in-house too,
unless you want to keep paying Microsoft for their proprietary and
inextensible reader software.)
PS I downloaded a low cost c compiler (http://www.c-compiler.com) but plse
advise about other options.

GCC is free. lcc-win32 is free (but will get the occasional flame in
this group, since it is even more extension-happy than GCC --- but it
does seem to implement much more of the new C99 standard). MinGW and
Bloodshed get good reviews, though I've stuck with DJGPP (another GCC
port) myself.

HTH,
-Arthur

Francesco Zavatarelli

thanks. In the meantime I downloaded the s/w suggested by boa and it does
almost all I need. Maybe I can avoid to write a program from scratch...

Neil Kurzman

Try the Palm News Groups you may find a consultant there.
PalmOS.com also has a consultant list.