Looking for a Fast Persistent Store

Austin Ziegler

Austin Ziegler has automated the "Rubyforge dance"- look at
PDF::Writer or post to him on this list.

Actually, the Net::LDAP Rakefile is the best thing to look at right now. ;)

-austin

Francis Cianfrocca

--

And he passes the proverbial buck! :)

Austin contributed all the code in Net::LDAP for doing the Rubyforge
and Gmail dances, and it works very well, but if you have trouble with
it, it's probably because I munged it some after Austin checked it in.
So any problems will be my fault, not his.

There are some dependencies, like minitar.

Joel VanderWerf

Austin said:
Actually, the Net::LDAP Rakefile is the best thing to look at right now. ;)

I will look at both before I start dancing. Thanks to both of you :)

khaines

Just FYI, I still haven't finished packing things up into a separate
release, but I do have some comparative benchmarks.

One a very modest server (AMD Athlon 2600 with generic IDE drives,
extfs3, on a Linux 2.4 kernel) that does have a small load on it, with the
DiskCache, which implements overhead to maintain a linked list of files on
disk in order to support LRU semantics, it averages around 500-600 writes
per second, 700-800 updates per second, 850-950 reads per second, and 1000
deletes per second.

Removing all of the LRU overhead results in a dramatic speedup. Writes
experience the least speedup, going to around 2000 per second, give or
take a couple hundred depending on other activity. Updates move into the
3800-4200 range. Reads move into the 6000-6200 range, and deleted move to
around 2000/second.

Given the hardware, I found those numbers pleasingly high. And it clearly
demonstrates that unless one really needs the LRU capabilities in order to
limit the total number of entries to some arbitrary value, there is much
to be gained by using the basic DiskStore, and just having an external job
run periodically to flush old elements from the disk.

Kirk Haines