Looking for a Firefox extension

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bob, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor that cannot be
    remedied by any of the usual fixes - I have tried adjusting the
    contrast, brightness and gamma until the cows come home and nothing has
    changed. I have found that if I set the text color to RGB (120,120,120)
    - basically a light grey - the problem pretty much goes away, since
    glare problems with CRT monitors are dependent on the contrast between
    type and background, in part.

    Bottom line: I tried to adjust color in Firefox preferences for text
    color. I turned it to the grey above. But the only way to make it work
    was to uncheck "let webpages override my settings". This somehow screwed
    up everything horribly - many backgrounds simply refused to load at all,
    some page functions stopped working, etc.

    I am looking for an extension that will allow me to say, highlight some
    text (the text I am trying to read) and turn it all to the grey that I want.

    Do you know of any?

    Sorry, Firefox newsgroups are all down now.
    --
    http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/

    Bob, Dec 3, 2006

  2. Bob

    ed Guest

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 05:47:29 -0800
    Bob <> wrote:

    > I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor that cannot be
    > remedied by any of the usual fixes - I have tried adjusting the
    > contrast, brightness and gamma until the cows come home and nothing
    > has changed. I have found that if I set the text color to RGB
    > (120,120,120) - basically a light grey - the problem pretty much goes
    > away, since glare problems with CRT monitors are dependent on the
    > contrast between type and background, in part.
    >
    > Bottom line: I tried to adjust color in Firefox preferences for text
    > color. I turned it to the grey above. But the only way to make it work
    >
    > was to uncheck "let webpages override my settings". This somehow
    > screwed up everything horribly - many backgrounds simply refused to
    > load at all, some page functions stopped working, etc.
    >
    > I am looking for an extension that will allow me to say, highlight
    > some text (the text I am trying to read) and turn it all to the grey
    > that I want.
    >
    > Do you know of any?

    no i dont't know of any. but one might want to look into
    digitalviberance settings in x. it requires some knowledge of how x
    works, but the bottom line is something like this, and it will require
    some playing around to test it:

    Option "DigitalVibrance" "100"

    Where 100 is the brightness. 50 is probably a
    pretty reasonable level.

    --
    Regards, Ed :: http://www.linuxwarez.co.uk
    proud linux hacker

    ed, Dec 3, 2006

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    ed wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 05:47:29 -0800
    > Bob <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor that cannot be
    >> remedied by any of the usual fixes - I have tried adjusting the
    >> contrast, brightness and gamma until the cows come home and nothing
    >> has changed. I have found that if I set the text color to RGB
    >> (120,120,120) - basically a light grey - the problem pretty much goes
    >> away, since glare problems with CRT monitors are dependent on the
    >> contrast between type and background, in part.
    >>
    >> Bottom line: I tried to adjust color in Firefox preferences for text
    >> color. I turned it to the grey above. But the only way to make it work
    >>
    >> was to uncheck "let webpages override my settings". This somehow
    >> screwed up everything horribly - many backgrounds simply refused to
    >> load at all, some page functions stopped working, etc.
    >>
    >> I am looking for an extension that will allow me to say, highlight
    >> some text (the text I am trying to read) and turn it all to the grey
    >> that I want.
    >>
    >> Do you know of any?

    > no i dont't know of any. but one might want to look into
    > digitalviberance settings in x. it requires some knowledge of how x
    > works, but the bottom line is something like this, and it will require
    > some playing around to test it:
    >
    > Option "DigitalVibrance" "100"
    >
    > Where 100 is the brightness. 50 is probably a
    > pretty reasonable level.

    Sorry, I'm on Windows. I just crossposted to Linux group because I
    respect them and so many of them use Firefox.

    Anyone know how to set up the user.css style sheet in Opera?
    --
    http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/

    Bob, Dec 3, 2006
  4. Bob

    yttrx Guest

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy Bob <> wrote:
    > I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor that cannot be
    > remedied by any of the usual fixes - I have tried adjusting the
    > contrast, brightness and gamma until the cows come home and nothing has
    > changed. I have found that if I set the text color to RGB (120,120,120)
    > - basically a light grey - the problem pretty much goes away, since
    > glare problems with CRT monitors are dependent on the contrast between
    > type and background, in part.
    >
    > Bottom line: I tried to adjust color in Firefox preferences for text
    > color. I turned it to the grey above. But the only way to make it work
    > was to uncheck "let webpages override my settings". This somehow screwed
    > up everything horribly - many backgrounds simply refused to load at all,
    > some page functions stopped working, etc.
    >
    > I am looking for an extension that will allow me to say, highlight some
    > text (the text I am trying to read) and turn it all to the grey that I want.
    >
    > Do you know of any?
    >
    > Sorry, Firefox newsgroups are all down now.

    Firefox newsgroups are never down.

    Get a new monitor. I know I know, you dont want to/cant buy one right
    now. So save up for one. Or turn the one you have way from the fucking
    light source. Put a shade on it. Go get a glare-reducing attachment.
    Try sunglasses.

    Christ.

    -----yttrx

    --
    http://www.yttrx.net

    yttrx, Dec 3, 2006
  5. Bob

    **** OFF

    -----yttrx

    --
    http://www.yttrx.net

    yttrx, Dec 3, 2006
  6. Bob

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > Anyone know how to set up the user.css style sheet in Opera?

    No idea, but seeing as you originally asked this question about Firefox,
    I figured I'd try to answer this question as regards that instead ;)

    In the Firefox profile directory there is a 'chrome' directory. In there
    should be 'userContent-example.css' (or similar). Edit this to you
    heart's content, then save it as 'userContent.css' in the same
    directory. Of course, finding the correct CSS for some sites is going to
    be the tough part, but as a starting point:

    body {
    color: #787878 !important;
    }

    Should get you on your way.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
    against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

    Dylan Parry, Dec 3, 2006
  7. Bob

    ed Guest

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 06:41:27 -0800
    Bob <> wrote:

    > Sorry, I'm on Windows. I just crossposted to Linux group because I
    > respect them and so many of them use Firefox.

    you cross posted to the wrong group. if you want operating system help
    then try posting to the relevant news group.

    --
    Regards, Ed :: http://www.openbsdhacker.com
    just another perl hacker

    ed, Dec 3, 2006
  8. Bob wrote:
    > I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor that cannot be
    > remedied by any of the usual fixes - I have tried adjusting the
    > contrast, brightness and gamma until the cows come home and nothing has
    > changed. I have found that if I set the text color to RGB (120,120,120)
    > - basically a light grey - the problem pretty much goes away, since
    > glare problems with CRT monitors are dependent on the contrast between
    > type and background, in part.
    >
    > Bottom line: I tried to adjust color in Firefox preferences for text
    > color. I turned it to the grey above. But the only way to make it work
    > was to uncheck "let webpages override my settings". This somehow screwed
    > up everything horribly - many backgrounds simply refused to load at all,
    > some page functions stopped working, etc.
    >
    > I am looking for an extension that will allow me to say, highlight some
    > text (the text I am trying to read) and turn it all to the grey that I
    > want.
    >
    > Do you know of any?
    >
    > Sorry, Firefox newsgroups are all down now.

    Not a Firefox issue Bob, but hardware. You need a new monitor! Monitor
    lose contrast with age, CRT are cheap now that folks want flat panels.
    get yourself a new CRT.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 3, 2006
  9. Bob

    7 Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor

    The flat screens are these days very good about glare.
    They don't cost a lot either.
    About 100 pounds for 1280x1024 screen
    http://www.ebuyer.com

    7, Dec 3, 2006
  10. Bob

    Bob Guest

    7 wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    >> I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor

    > The flat screens are these days very good about glare.
    > They don't cost a lot either.
    > About 100 pounds for 1280x1024 screen
    > http://www.ebuyer.com

    Thx. I will look into that. I thought they were still prohibitively
    expensive.
    --
    http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/

    Bob, Dec 4, 2006
  11. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >> I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor that cannot be
    >> remedied by any of the usual fixes - I have tried adjusting the
    >> contrast, brightness and gamma until the cows come home and nothing
    >> has changed. I have found that if I set the text color to RGB
    >> (120,120,120) - basically a light grey - the problem pretty much goes
    >> away, since glare problems with CRT monitors are dependent on the
    >> contrast between type and background, in part.
    >>
    >> Bottom line: I tried to adjust color in Firefox preferences for text
    >> color. I turned it to the grey above. But the only way to make it work
    >> was to uncheck "let webpages override my settings". This somehow
    >> screwed up everything horribly - many backgrounds simply refused to
    >> load at all, some page functions stopped working, etc.
    >>
    >> I am looking for an extension that will allow me to say, highlight
    >> some text (the text I am trying to read) and turn it all to the grey
    >> that I want.
    >>
    >> Do you know of any?
    >>
    >> Sorry, Firefox newsgroups are all down now.

    > Not a Firefox issue Bob, but hardware. You need a new monitor! Monitor
    > lose contrast with age,

    Thx. That makes perfect sense, as all of the monitors with this problem
    were older CRT's! And the new ones that I had, while I did have some
    similar problems, it seemed that I was able to sort it out after
    fiddling with the display settings for a week or two. In this case,
    nothing works. Yes, it is a contrast problem. The white background
    "blooms" over the black text, no matter where I set the settings!

    CRT are cheap now that folks want flat panels.

    That would make sense.

    > get yourself a new CRT.

    How much are they running now?
    --
    http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/

    Bob, Dec 4, 2006
  12. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know how to set up the user.css style sheet in Opera?

    > No idea, but seeing as you originally asked this question about Firefox,
    > I figured I'd try to answer this question as regards that instead ;)
    >
    > In the Firefox profile directory there is a 'chrome' directory. In there
    > should be 'userContent-example.css' (or similar). Edit this to you
    > heart's content, then save it as 'userContent.css' in the same
    > directory. Of course, finding the correct CSS for some sites is going to
    > be the tough part, but as a starting point:
    >
    > body {
    > color: #787878 !important;
    > }

    Is #787878 the same as RGB 120,120,120?

    Can I have this as the only rule in my CSS, or will that very minimal
    sheet cause any problems?

    > Should get you on your way.

    I don't think I want any more rules.
    --
    http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/

    Bob, Dec 4, 2006
  13. Bob

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > Is #787878 the same as RGB 120,120,120?

    Yes. It is the equivalent value in hex.

    [...]
    > I don't think I want any more rules.

    You may do, but only if you find that the body text on particular pages
    has been styled using rules that override yours. A good page /should/ be
    using the style defined for the 'body' element for its main content, but
    there are plenty out there that won't - ie. the content will be in a
    further 'div' element with another style defined for that.

    For example, your user CSS file won't help in this situation:

    [...]
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet...
    [...]

    As the style for the /content/ 'div' would take precedence.

    Dylan Parry, Dec 4, 2006
  14. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    >> Is #787878 the same as RGB 120,120,120?

    > Yes. It is the equivalent value in hex.

    Thx...

    > [...]
    >> I don't think I want any more rules.

    > You may do, but only if you find that the body text on particular pages
    > has been styled using rules that override yours. A good page /should/ be
    > using the style defined for the 'body' element for its main content, but
    > there are plenty out there that won't - ie. the content will be in a
    > further 'div' element with another style defined for that.
    >
    > For example, your user CSS file won't help in this situation:
    >
    > [...]
    > Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet...
    > [...]
    >
    > As the style for the /content/ 'div' would take precedence.

    Right, as I recall CSS.

    You are correct. It is working well for some pages - maybe 20-25%, but
    then the rest are somehow overriding this file, perhaps in the ways you
    suggest here. Thx.

    The problem is improved, but it is still there to a great extent.

    Do you know a Firefox extension that will allow me to select, say the
    readable body text on a page and right click and apply a style to it,
    say the grey color above?

    Didn't there use to be a Web Developer extension for FF that did all
    sorts of fancy things. Could not find it last time I went looking.
    --
    http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/

    Bob, Dec 5, 2006
  15. Bob

    Bob Guest

    7 wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    >> I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor

    > The flat screens are these days very good about glare.
    > They don't cost a lot either.
    > About 100 pounds for 1280x1024 screen
    > http://www.ebuyer.com

    At the local store, cheapest LCD was around $225. On big web stores,
    cheapest LCD ran around $160-180. Good CRTs are now around $115. Thx.
    --
    http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/

    Bob, Dec 5, 2006
  16. Bob

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>, Bob <>
    wrote:

    > Do you know a Firefox extension that will allow me to select, say the
    > readable body text on a page and right click and apply a style to it,
    > say the grey color above?
    >
    > Didn't there use to be a Web Developer extension for FF that did all
    > sorts of fancy things. Could not find it last time I went looking.

    Have you tried:

    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/extensions/

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 5, 2006
  17. In alt.html, dorayme wrote:

    > Bob <> wrote:
    >> Do you know a Firefox extension that will allow me to select, say the
    >> readable body text on a page and right click and apply a style to
    >> it, say the grey color above?
    >>
    >> Didn't there use to be a Web Developer extension for FF that did all
    >> sorts of fancy things. Could not find it last time I went looking.

    > Have you tried:
    >
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/extensions/

    Or even direct from the manufacturer!
    http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 5, 2006
  18. Bob

    Bob Guest

    ed wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 06:41:27 -0800
    > Bob <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry, I'm on Windows. I just crossposted to Linux group because I
    >> respect them and so many of them use Firefox.

    > you cross posted to the wrong group. if you want operating system help
    > then try posting to the relevant news group.

    Don't want OS help.

    :p

    Want Firefox help.

    :p

    Firefox groups all shut down on the Netscape server months ago.

    :p
    --
    http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/

    Bob, Dec 5, 2006
  19. Bob

    Bob Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>, Bob <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Do you know a Firefox extension that will allow me to select, say the
    >> readable body text on a page and right click and apply a style to it,
    >> say the grey color above?
    >>
    >> Didn't there use to be a Web Developer extension for FF that did all
    >> sorts of fancy things. Could not find it last time I went looking.

    > Have you tried:
    >
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/extensions/

    Yes.

    But not exhaustively.

    An interesting one was called "Stylish", but I'm not sure what it does.
    Seems to do just about anything you want it to style-wise.
    --
    http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/

    Bob, Dec 5, 2006
  20. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > In alt.html, dorayme wrote:
    >
    >> Bob <> wrote:
    >>> Do you know a Firefox extension that will allow me to select, say the
    >>> readable body text on a page and right click and apply a style to
    >>> it, say the grey color above?
    >>>
    >>> Didn't there use to be a Web Developer extension for FF that did all
    >>> sorts of fancy things. Could not find it last time I went looking.

    >> Have you tried:
    >>
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/extensions/

    > Or even direct from the manufacturer!
    > http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/