Looking for a Firefox extension

Bob

I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor that cannot be
remedied by any of the usual fixes - I have tried adjusting the
contrast, brightness and gamma until the cows come home and nothing has
changed. I have found that if I set the text color to RGB (120,120,120)
- basically a light grey - the problem pretty much goes away, since
glare problems with CRT monitors are dependent on the contrast between
type and background, in part.

Bottom line: I tried to adjust color in Firefox preferences for text
color. I turned it to the grey above. But the only way to make it work
was to uncheck "let webpages override my settings". This somehow screwed
up everything horribly - many backgrounds simply refused to load at all,
some page functions stopped working, etc.

I am looking for an extension that will allow me to say, highlight some
text (the text I am trying to read) and turn it all to the grey that I want.

Do you know of any?

Sorry, Firefox newsgroups are all down now.

ed

[...]

no i dont't know of any. but one might want to look into
digitalviberance settings in x. it requires some knowledge of how x
works, but the bottom line is something like this, and it will require
some playing around to test it:

Option "DigitalVibrance" "100"

Where 100 is the brightness. 50 is probably a
pretty reasonable level.

Bob

ed said:
no i dont't know of any. but one might want to look into
digitalviberance settings in x. it requires some knowledge of how x
works, but the bottom line is something like this, and it will require
some playing around to test it:

Option "DigitalVibrance" "100"

Where 100 is the brightness. 50 is probably a
pretty reasonable level.

Sorry, I'm on Windows. I just crossposted to Linux group because I
respect them and so many of them use Firefox.

Anyone know how to set up the user.css style sheet in Opera?

yttrx

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Bob said:
[...]

Firefox newsgroups are never down.

Get a new monitor. I know I know, you dont want to/cant buy one right
now. So save up for one. Or turn the one you have way from the fucking
light source. Put a shade on it. Go get a glare-reducing attachment.
Try sunglasses.

Christ.

-----yttrx

yttrx

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Bob said:
Sorry, I'm on Windows. I just crossposted to Linux group because I
respect them and so many of them use Firefox.

**** OFF

-----yttrx

Dylan Parry

Bob said:
Anyone know how to set up the user.css style sheet in Opera?

No idea, but seeing as you originally asked this question about Firefox,
I figured I'd try to answer this question as regards that instead ;)

In the Firefox profile directory there is a 'chrome' directory. In there
should be 'userContent-example.css' (or similar). Edit this to you
heart's content, then save it as 'userContent.css' in the same
directory. Of course, finding the correct CSS for some sites is going to
be the tough part, but as a starting point:

body {
color: #787878 !important;
}

Should get you on your way.

--
Dylan Parry

Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

ed

Sorry, I'm on Windows. I just crossposted to Linux group because I
respect them and so many of them use Firefox.

you cross posted to the wrong group. if you want operating system help
then try posting to the relevant news group.

Jonathan N. Little

Bob said:
[...]

Not a Firefox issue Bob, but hardware. You need a new monitor! Monitor
lose contrast with age, CRT are cheap now that folks want flat panels.
get yourself a new CRT.

Bob

Jonathan said:
Not a Firefox issue Bob, but hardware. You need a new monitor! Monitor
lose contrast with age,

Thx. That makes perfect sense, as all of the monitors with this problem
were older CRT's! And the new ones that I had, while I did have some
similar problems, it seemed that I was able to sort it out after
fiddling with the display settings for a week or two. In this case,
nothing works. Yes, it is a contrast problem. The white background
"blooms" over the black text, no matter where I set the settings!

CRT are cheap now that folks want flat panels.

That would make sense.
get yourself a new CRT.

How much are they running now?

Bob

Dylan said:
No idea, but seeing as you originally asked this question about Firefox,
I figured I'd try to answer this question as regards that instead ;)

In the Firefox profile directory there is a 'chrome' directory. In there
should be 'userContent-example.css' (or similar). Edit this to you
heart's content, then save it as 'userContent.css' in the same
directory. Of course, finding the correct CSS for some sites is going to
be the tough part, but as a starting point:

body {
color: #787878 !important;
}

Is #787878 the same as RGB 120,120,120?

Can I have this as the only rule in my CSS, or will that very minimal
sheet cause any problems?
Should get you on your way.

I don't think I want any more rules.

Dylan Parry

Bob said:
Is #787878 the same as RGB 120,120,120?

Yes. It is the equivalent value in hex.

[...]
I don't think I want any more rules.

You may do, but only if you find that the body text on particular pages
has been styled using rules that override yours. A good page /should/ be
using the style defined for the 'body' element for its main content, but
there are plenty out there that won't - ie. the content will be in a
further 'div' element with another style defined for that.

For example, your user CSS file won't help in this situation:

[...]
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet...
[...]

As the style for the /content/ 'div' would take precedence.

--

Dylan said:
Bob said:
Is #787878 the same as RGB 120,120,120?

Yes. It is the equivalent value in hex.
Thx...
[...]
I don't think I want any more rules.

You may do, but only if you find that the body text on particular pages
has been styled using rules that override yours. A good page /should/ be
using the style defined for the 'body' element for its main content, but
there are plenty out there that won't - ie. the content will be in a
further 'div' element with another style defined for that.

For example, your user CSS file won't help in this situation:

[...]
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet...
[...]

As the style for the /content/ 'div' would take precedence.

Right, as I recall CSS.You are correct. It is working well for some pages - maybe 20-25%, but
then the rest are somehow overriding this file, perhaps in the ways you
suggest here. Thx.

The problem is improved, but it is still there to a great extent.

Do you know a Firefox extension that will allow me to select, say the
readable body text on a page and right click and apply a style to it,
say the grey color above?

Didn't there use to be a Web Developer extension for FF that did all
sorts of fancy things. Could not find it last time I went looking.

Bob

7 said:
The flat screens are these days very good about glare.
They don't cost a lot either.
About 100 pounds for 1280x1024 screen
http://www.ebuyer.com
At the local store, cheapest LCD was around $225. On big web stores,
cheapest LCD ran around $160-180. Good CRTs are now around $115. Thx.

Bob

ed said:
you cross posted to the wrong group. if you want operating system help
then try posting to the relevant news group.

Don't want OS help.

:p

Want Firefox help.

:p

Firefox groups all shut down on the Netscape server months ago.

:p