Looking for a Firefox extension

dorayme

[QUOTE="Bob said:
Or even direct from the manufacturer!
http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

Thx!

:)))))))))))[/QUOTE]

When you get these excellent tools, you will have drop down menu
items at top. To do what you mentioned first, you would choose
the CSS one and Edit CSS, this will bring up the CSS for a
webpage you are displaying in the right frame. Editing the CSS
makes for "live" changes in what you see to the right. Don't
expect it to be a main way to develop things (there are various
irritations) but it is a great way to trouble shoot a few things,
even get some ideas going.

The thing I find a little peculiar is how they stick Edit HTML in
the Miscellanous drop down. Does not seem so Misc to me! I
suppose i may as well mention that it would be great if it gets
to the satge where you can have both the Edit HTML and CSS open
in their own cols or frames and the whole show be live. Sometimes
one wants to tweak both quickly there and then...

But good luck, you will benefit from these great tools.

Jonathan N. Little

Bob said:
Firefox groups all shut down on the Netscape server months ago.

:p

What?! Don't think so. Been subscribed to news.mozilla.org for sometime
now to NG's
netscape.public.mozilla.wishlist, netscape.public.mozilla.browser,
netscape.public.mozilla.dom, netscape.public.mozilla.jseng

all see alive and well...

Bob

Jonathan said:
What?! Don't think so. Been subscribed to news.mozilla.org for sometime
now to NG's
netscape.public.mozilla.wishlist, netscape.public.mozilla.browser,
netscape.public.mozilla.dom, netscape.public.mozilla.jseng

all see alive and well...

I don't know what happened. I was subscribed via Thunderbird, but then
one day it would never load from the server, and for weeks after it
would never load. I figured it was down. Eventually I deleted the
account. What happened? How do I add it back in?

Bob

Bob said:
I don't know what happened. I was subscribed via Thunderbird, but then
one day it would never load from the server, and for weeks after it
would never load. I figured it was down. Eventually I deleted the
account. What happened? How do I add it back in?

Thx. I guess the account got corrupted on the drive in one of its log
files? Is that possible?

I deleted the account and added it back in and now it works again. Thx
so much!

Jonathan N. Little

Bob said:
I don't know what happened. I was subscribed via Thunderbird, but then
one day it would never load from the server, and for weeks after it
would never load. I figured it was down. Eventually I deleted the
account. What happened? How do I add it back in?

Ah, just go to Tools|Account Settings... then choose Add Newsgroup
Account fill in the pertinent info and for the News Server put
"news.mozilla.org". Then subscribe to whatever groups you wish...

Jonathan N. Little

Bob said:
Thx. I guess the account got corrupted on the drive in one of its log
files? Is that possible?

I deleted the account and added it back in and now it works again. Thx
so much!

Yep, but I have found all you have to do is traverse to the profile
folder usually on Windows:

C:\Documents and Settings\[profile]\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\[salt].default

Go to the news server folder, this example:
...\News\news.mozilla.org

and delete the associated .msf file, e.g.:
netscape.public.mozilla.browser.msf

Oh! You must not be running Thunderbird during this!

Then fire up Thunderbird and redownload the headers for the group. No
recreated of account needed.

For POP mail sometimes the index file .msf can get corrupted. The same
procedure can fix it. I will rebuild the summery with no loss of data.
just don't delete the file with no extension, like "Inbox" or that will
delete all your messages!

Ed Mullen

Bob said:
Right. Is it a good forum? I was used to the old Netscape server on Usenet.

Mozillazine groups are forums not newsgroups. If you're referring to
the secnews server newsgroups, yes, they're pretty much defunct. They
have been superseded by the mozilla newsgroups which are on the
news.mozilla.org server. You can create an account for that server in
your favorite newsreader and subscribe to a wide variety of both
developer and support groups.

See: http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_newsgroups.html

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Bob

Ed said:
Mozillazine groups are forums not newsgroups. If you're referring to
the secnews server newsgroups, yes, they're pretty much defunct.

Ah! That makes sense! That's why I could not log on. Thx so much. :)

They
have been superseded by the mozilla newsgroups which are on the
news.mozilla.org server. You can create an account for that server in
your favorite newsreader and subscribe to a wide variety of both
developer and support groups.

See: http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_newsgroups.html

Yes, I just did that, thx. Looking like the mozilla.* groups are more
valuable that the netscape* groups. Lot more postings on the mozilla*
ones. If I am not mistaken, one is for the public and another is for
developers.

Bob

Jonathan said:
Bob said:
Thx. I guess the account got corrupted on the drive in one of its log
files? Is that possible?

I deleted the account and added it back in and now it works again. Thx
so much!

Yep, but I have found all you have to do is traverse to the profile
folder usually on Windows:

C:\Documents and Settings\[profile]\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\[salt].default

Go to the news server folder, this example:
..\News\news.mozilla.org

and delete the associated .msf file, e.g.:
netscape.public.mozilla.browser.msf

This is the file that gets corrupted sometimes, no? I delete those
things fairly regularly anyway. It seems sometimes, a ng starts acting
crazy and nothing stops that. The only thing that stops it is deleting
this .msf file. I assume it has become corrupted.
Oh! You must not be running Thunderbird during this!
Surely.

Then fire up Thunderbird and redownload the headers for the group. No
recreated of account needed.

Right, I do this quite a bit. For one thing, I do not like .msf files
over 1 MB.
For POP mail sometimes the index file .msf can get corrupted. The same
procedure can fix it. I will rebuild the summery with no loss of data.
just don't delete the file with no extension, like "Inbox" or that will
delete all your messages!

Only one I use there is "Sent" cuz I only use Tbird for news. For mail,
I am a Eudora addict. ;)

Ed Mullen

Bob said:
Ah! That makes sense! That's why I could not log on. Thx so much. :)

They

Yes, I just did that, thx. Looking like the mozilla.* groups are more
valuable that the netscape* groups. Lot more postings on the mozilla*
ones. If I am not mistaken, one is for the public and another is for
developers.

Yes, the mozilla.support... groups are the "public" ones. However, you
are free to subscribe to the dev groups as well. Obviously, any
postings there should be limited to development issues and kept
on-topic. A couple of good links:

http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html

Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://mozilla.edmullen.net
http://abington.edmullen.net
What if there were no rhetorical questions?